Leopard gecko beginner questions

Ceman2020

Arachnopeon
So i got a 20 gal vivarium on clearance awhile back and didnt know what i would ventually put in it, it was just such a good deal. recently ive wanted to branch into reptiles. so i agonized over a few dart frogs, a giant centipede, or baby snake, now i ended up talking to these pet shop owners and they had two hatchmate leopard geckos. i found that the care information was not to crazy so decided to pick them up. the current enclosure they will outgrow but its enough for a few months. my questions were on communal keeping. initially i heard solo, but then i heard if theres enough space and its not multiple males it can be okay. whats the actual deal? right now theyre housed together and i figured if i saw lots of aggression id seperate them. they arrived at the shop together but theyd been seperated about two weeks, i didnt know this until i picked them up. so i reintroduced them and kept a good watch. there was a little squabble when they both came to the tree in the middle but they each found their own spots. Any and all information appreciated. after i finish cleaning my living room ill post a pick of the enclosure. i have 20 gal long, one hide for each at each end, seperate water dishes. tomorrow i will get a couple smaller hides for them to have humid hides and warm hides. its always hard for me to arrange things but i think i can manage. what are yall's thoughts?

Ceman2020

Arachnopeon
just checked on them and they are curled up together in the top of this log in a very enclosed space. didnt see any signs of aggression from either.

Arthropod Universe

Arachnosquire
How big are they? I personally have no experience with cohabiting leos but you should probabLu separate them or give them a ton of space like 40+ gallons

Arthropod Universe

Arachnosquire
You also might want to change the sand as it isnt the best for them they’re environment in the wild is more rocky than sandy. Also what sex are they that can make a big difference if it’s male and female separate them as soon as possible 8734CBF3-CFAC-4515-897E-312EB6D658C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Ceman2020

Arachnopeon
You also might want to change the sand as it isnt the best for them they’re environment in the wild is more rocky than sandy
Oh shoot, I read that sand and soil mix is OK so I had mixed sand with reptisoil. I initially was just going to go with a similar mixture that I use for my spiders and scorpions and roaches which is reptisoil and fiber fifty fifty mix but thought it would be too humid.

Ceman2020

Arachnopeon
You also might want to change the sand as it isnt the best for them they’re environment in the wild is more rocky than sandy. Also what sex are they that can make a big difference if it’s male and female separate them as soon as possible View attachment 435805
I know one is male for sure the other 1 I wasn't sure about but hadn't got a chance to do a thorough check. Would they be OK for the rest of the night? They seem to have been getting along. If it's a female what exactly would occur?

Arthropod Universe

Arachnosquire
They can stay together for a little but probably in the next week you should get a separate tank they can stay together but mating has stuff like them biting each other so I wouldn’t take that risk

Arthropod Universe

Arachnosquire
for my geckos enclosure I have some rocks and driftwood for her to climb on and two hides it works pretty well for her