Legally shipping isopods.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Yesterday night, I started an isopod breeding project. I sorted all isopods that had the traits I desired. I placed them in a deli cup with a damp paper towel. After collecting all the isopods I wanted from the main culture, I introduced them to their new bin.

As I gently placed each isopod into the deli cup, I noticed something. Some dirt came in with the isopods. This wasn’t a problem when transporting isopods from on container to the other with in my residence. However, this might be a problem. My permit states”The permit holder is to ensure that shipments are not contaminated with any additional... soil.”

How do I avoid this issue? How do I separate isopods from soil? What can I legally ship isopods with?

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
If soil is the issue, I have never really had issues with isopod shipments being sent with damp sphagnum moss as the culture medium instead

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
As long as the medium you are shipping in is not soil, you should be fine. It simply is not possible to avoid shipping ALL particulates that might be on an organism when it it placed into a shipping container. If you remove an isopod from substrate and it is covered in dirt, a quick misting will usually solve that. But as for the tiny bits of sediment that may be on their legs, I really wouldn't worry about it. APHIS sure isn't, and it is not in your control, so you are still fully within the law.
As for shipping medium I would agree with @LizardStudent that sphagnum moss is good, and I personally also like moist paper towels.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
The fact you are posting here and worried soil content shipping means you are about 900x past what is actually required of you. The law is very lax on what we ship. Which is both a curse and a cure. They trust us. You and even me a dummy to properly send material no questions asked. As long as they aren't illicit drugs they want, you could send your deceased mothers ashes as fertilizer. Don't ask me. I do not permit any and all shipping methods or materials sent here and here fore.