legality?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The USDA APHIS division enforces things that may be a threat to agriculture, they wouldn't regulate animals that are a direct threat to people. By definition, they are concerned with plants. The USFWS could proably go after dangerous animals, but generally let the states and localities handle that.

Enforcement is not the same for all animals covered by the "potential plant pest" description.

As far as I know, the USDA has not "gone after" private individuals with millipedes, or even pet shops. They seem primarily concerned with blocking imports when they come in. Perhaps PetCo has a big stockpile of the things already here that is taking awhile to be exhausted. Mantids are he same deal, but have dissapeared from the trade faster because they don't live as long and are more difficult to keep. There still seems to be people selling captive bred mantids openly.

Exotic phasmids are another mater. They will actually come to your house if they find out you have them.

Pretty much all exotic cockroaches (with the exception recently added to the exception list hisser) fall under the "pest" definition as well, but there does no appear to be any enforcement on them at all.

The USDA has not indicated how they will deal with captive bred millipedes and mantids at present.

Wade

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its a shame they cant be human, and actually give the time and decency to actually explain it in black and white.. its re3diculous that they enforce it with no easy to aquire justification.
Iv got many a nasty word that could be a synonym for a governemt, this is one aspect it is backed up by..
I can def understand that these mites might be a prob, but at the end of the day if they explained the problem and the reasoning it would be a hell of a lot simpler.

my advice never trust your government, ALWAYS an alterior motive somewhere.
LOL well, im kinda now edging towards an aspect of current british society.. Political correctness/ health and safety regulations...O...M...G it might as well be illegal to be british..and if your patriotic..well thats def a criminal offence!
kids cant play conkers W/O safety goggles and probably gloves.

local pub AND Norwich uni both released calanders.. both had NO christian religious holidays acknowledged at all.. but pretty much every other religion was inside!
OO, many a big store wasnt allowed to display crimbo decorations last year! now if that isnt the most rediculous thing ever! I mean its not as if Britain has been christian for long?!? *sigh*
ol well iv Definately got sidetracked on this one.. but hey its

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
explain what in black and white? The laws and regulations are freely available and are spelled out in english. Someone posted links to APHIS' website on the forum already, I forget which one exactly but wouldn't be hard to find.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not an issue for me anymore...gave mine to a neighbor kid...kinda sucks gonna miss the little guys:(