Leg regeneration?

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently purchased a B.vagans and when it arrived I noticed it had seven legs instead of eight. Initial thought..."oh crap".

The only reason I thought that was because of a thread I saw where it looked like a tarantula had a bad molt due to where the leg was missing. My question is this...do you think from where this one is missing it will cause any issues during molt? I have never seen one regenerate with time, and am kinda worried...I know it is so small still that the chances are probably better, but you guys are the veterans...so what do you think? Should the leg have been cast off closer to the carapace or will it be okay?

Thanks guys/gals.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently purchased a B.vagans and when it arrived I noticed it had seven legs instead of eight. Initial thought..."oh crap".

The only reason I thought that was because of a thread I saw where it looked like a tarantula had a bad molt due to where the leg was missing. My question is this...do you think from where this one is missing it will cause any issues during molt? I have never seen one regenerate with time, and am kinda worried...I know it is so small still that the chances are probably better, but you guys are the veterans...so what do you think? Should the leg have been cast off closer to the carapace or will it be okay?

Thanks guys/gals.
You should have no reason to worry. They regenerate lost legs during molts all the time. In my experience the new leg may be shorter or less functional than the rest, but it should cause no life threatening problems.
It does up the chance of a molting injury but very slim. The thread you read about the bad molt due to a lost leg seemed to be a freak accident, that was the first time I had heard of it happening.

Good luck with the little guy.

chichi

Arachnopeon
It's ok. You don't have to worry anything. My G. rosea sling lost a leg because I accidentally close the lid of the film canister when it was trying to get out. After several molts, it regenerated its lost leg.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
That's a very small specimen. It'll be fine, they regrow very well at that size, it will probably have a near-completely functional leg after its next molt. And since its so young, it will eventually grow a flawless leg.

-Sean

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it's new leg will become robotic.
Sweet! I always loved cyborg tarantula's!

Really though, thanks everyone. I can now look at the bright side and actually get to see it come back, which will be pretty cool and a first for me.