Leg loss during molt...

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi! I'm still fairly new to the wonderful world of T's, so forgive my igonorance here, please.

My smallest p. metallica molted yesterday (as well as my little T. plumipes!)

It seemed all went well, but I noticed that she lost a leg... It is the second leg from the front on the left side. I don't know the anatomy too well, but I am guessing that it was lost at what I think is called the trochanter. I do not see any oozing, seems to have sealed up. And as far as I can tell, she is acting fine.

I have not taken out the shedding, as I worry about causing further stress.

I understand that this can happen, my only thought I have is that maybe I needed a humidity boost or something? :confused:

What I was wondering is this: Does the leg loss indicate that their will be future problems or could this just have been a 'freak' happening? Or does it mean that something isn't right and death may follow? I understand that all critters are different... but if anyone has had any experience I would love to hear your thoughts.

When should I take out the molt?
Thanks to everyone who helps! I am a little, er, a lot worried. :?

Iggy22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about it. If you say it has seemed to have sealed up and she is walking around fine, your all set. She'll grow it back next molt. Just make sure she isn't leaking any clear fluid.

As far as boosting humidity and all that, it is most likely just a freak occurrence. T's sometimes loose their legs if they were damaged before hand or if it was stuck. I thing the best thing to do is just keep and eye on it.

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From the time I started this hobby last January, I have had my days of anxiety with molts. I have had bad molts - lost limbs, and bad molts - stuck and dead. With slings less than 1.5 cm, I really cant do much. Lost limbs grow back so dont worry. I had an albo sling without the 2nd and 3rd left legs. It just molted and now complete. So just feed the T regularly and mist once in a while. there is really nothing more to do but wait for the next molt. Cheers.:)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
What seems most important to mention for the future is that the T gets to drink as much as it wants prior to a moult. Water dish, with nothing but water in it would be the best you can do at the moment to ensure that doesn't happen again.

There is a little dispute over if humidity in a tank actually does help or not for a T to stay healthy. Quite some (including me) hardly ever wet the substrate for humidity purposes, others can swear that it is absolutely nessessary. Depends on who you ask. Both work, otherwise there wouldn't be a dispute. (However, if keeping a tank moist you need to be sure you have adequate ventilation!)

As said it can just be a freak occurance. Maybe the leg was a little injoured prior to the moult and got stuck because of that. There's hardly a way of knowing.

Good luck with it (them) in the future!