Leftovers in the Hide

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
I got a C. versicolor sling around a month ago and it made a nice little place in the bottom corner (thankfully not at the lid). I've noticed that it will take its crickets into its little hide but then it leaves everything there. When I looked it up, I haven't found a clear answer when it comes to the food being in the web built. Should it be fine if I leave them there? My only concern is that the only way to access the leftovers is through a tiny hole it has at the top and I'd likely have to destroy its web, since it doesn't eat it right under the hole every time.

I did attach an image for some reference. The circle and arrows are where the old crickets are and the top hole is about 1/4" wide.
Please ignore the drier substrate, I was trying the method of just adding water occasionally but another one of my slings recently died (I think of dehydration) so I'm trying to get the substrate moist now.

Attachments

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Since the immediate area of the spider's hide should always be more or less dry, it's not a problem.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
You don't have to worry about cleaning the burrow, the spider will remove anything it doesn't like.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
IME Caribena versicolor does best dry anyway, I have raised all my Aviculariinae on dry substrate with a water dish.

Also you can destroy webbing if you need to, it will not hurt, stress, or bother it, they are built to web, it will rebuild webbing if some gets messed up a little bit. Nature is far more destructive to webbing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I typically remove it if they don’t after a month or so. Uneaten remains invite pests at times

DO NOT feel bad about moving webbing! :rolleyes:

How often do you feed the versi?

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your replies. It ended up being perfect timing as it actually removed some of them last night at some point.

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
I typically remove it if they don’t after a month or so. Uneaten remains invite pests at times

DO NOT feel bad about moving webbing! :rolleyes:

How often do you feed the versi?
I've been feeding it a small, prekilled cricket twice a week. It's cautious every time but eventually pounces.

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
Why were you using prekilled with that size T?
When it first made its webbing, it only had an entrance at the very top, and I read that sometimes if crickets stay near the ground they won't go for them. I guess I probably should've just tried it anyways and had some patience. It does have two entrances near the bottom now though.

Buggrt

Arachnopeon
The rare fossorial versi
Yeah, it likes it closer to the substrate. I honestly thankful, since it didn't web up the lid. It actually started to make a whole other web tunnel on the right of its original webbing. It's connected to the original as well, so now it has like a mini tunnel connected to the main web "cave."