Leeches and my other pets

lovebugfarm

Arachnopeon
Wanted to thank you again MTA for this thread. I was able to get some h manillensis from Friedrich very exciting. Hopefully we can get whitmania in the states one day

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have actually fallen in love with the whitmania species pictured. Beautiful and funny species. I like leeches as a species that is beautifully adapted for what it needs to do to survive. I find that amazingly beautiful in animals. But I have never had any desire to keep them, until I saw the whitmania species.

MTA

Arachnosquire
Sorry for not posting in this thread for a while, I've been busy with school, and i recently moved back into the US. Last year i went on a trip and when i returned the caretaker of my animals had not done a good job so some of my favorite animals like my whitmania and hirudinaria unfortunately passing away or escaping. This made my interest in keeping invertebrates diminish and i gave away most of my creatures save for my Hirudo nipponia and a few other creatures.

Now that i'm in the states I currently only have Hirudo nipponia, an unknown erpobdellid leech, planarians, rhino beetles, and a group of eleodes sp. However I've started to gain interest again, and I hope to get some other species of invertebrates I could not get in Korea easily like hirudo verbana, or macrobdella decora, and i hope to raise giant silkmoths next year. I also have a tank set up for ribbon leeches i will hopefully receive next week.

Unknown erpobdellid

Erpobdellid setup

Planaria

Hirudo nipponia

Ribbon leech aquarium

watertiger21

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for this thread! Many years ago I attempted to keep both leeches and planarians but failed. This has been very helpful!

Would you mind sharing a bit more on what you feed the planarians?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Yay! Missed the post in September somehow. This is one of my favorite threads--non-arthropod invertebrates are so often under-appreciated--and I'm glad you're getting back into them.

MTA

Arachnosquire
Thank you so much for this thread! Many years ago I attempted to keep both leeches and planarians but failed. This has been very helpful!

Would you mind sharing a bit more on what you feed the planarians?
Theyll eat anything meaty like fish food geared towards carnivores, shrimp meat, bloodworms, but hey really enjoy eating cut open waxworms for some reason, they get real fat after they eat those.