Leech Buffet!!

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I finally acquired some Hirudo medicinalis. I let one have an all-you-can-eat meal from my hand. Total feeding time 30 to 45 minutes. I bled pretty good for awhile afterwards. Here's from start to finish:

Last edited:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eww...that is just weird. You could have became a doctor no problem!

Aren't they normally fed on blood sausages?

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aren't they normally fed on blood sausages?
Not that I know of. Some people use frogs. I thought the least I could do is give him/her a home made meal. It's ok as long as only one person feeds it, for preventing cross-contamination of blood.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Gack! But very interesting. Mind explaining why you have them? =P

Did you feel pain at all?

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gack! But very interesting. Mind explaining why you have them? =P

Did you feel pain at all?
No particular reason. I have been intrigued by them. And like a little kid, I had to have some because they are generally not sold to individuals, only schools, hospitals, etc.

I felt a very slight stinging. If I didn't know it was on me, I probably wouldn't have noticed the feeling.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know hospitals use them nowadays for increasing blood flow to poorly circulated appendages (diabetes/amputations). I find them interesting, but very creepy at the same time. We had little bitty leeches in the creek that I played in as a child, but I don't ever recall any feeding from me.

Do you have a picture of the wound it left? I'm guessing a triangular shape of 3 lines/arcs.

Are you planning on feeding them from yourself, or using other modes of food? Isn't it true one feeding lasts them for a while?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How did you get your hands(no pun intended) on those?

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Leech

Hello David,

Great job man,perceverance pays!!!!

Let us know your secret connections!!!!
FT

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Leeches

Oh by the way David, I heard some of the leeches at the Bug show went missing.
You would not have anything to do with that right???{D :rolleyes:

Just joking!!!!!:}

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know hospitals use them nowadays for increasing blood flow to poorly circulated appendages (diabetes/amputations). I find them interesting, but very creepy at the same time. We had little bitty leeches in the creek that I played in as a child, but I don't ever recall any feeding from me.

Do you have a picture of the wound it left? I'm guessing a triangular shape of 3 lines/arcs.

Are you planning on feeding them from yourself, or using other modes of food? Isn't it true one feeding lasts them for a while?
5 hours later and it's still oozing blood. And yes, the nice fello/gal (they're hermaphrodites) left a little 3 pointed little star. I will post a pic later. I plan on using the few I have for now on myself, and only myself. I feel I'm packed with flavor.{D One feeding can last at least 6 months, but I can't see how a small snack would hurt, especially since I want them to grow. By the way, not only are they used in limb and skin flap reattachments, but there have been studies that are looking good for treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee, which is exactly what I have. I'm going to look further into that, maybe it's the anesthetic qualities of the leeches saliva.
How did you get your hands(no pun intended) on those?
Let us know your secret connections!!!!
FT
For right now, I have to see if I can get more from my connection, I possibly may just get a bunch and sell individually, not sure yet.
Oh by the way David, I heard some of the leeches at the Bug show went missing.
You would not have anything to do with that right???{D :rolleyes:

Just joking!!!!!:}
Don't think that didn't cross my mind.{D I tried bribes, but they wouldn't part with any. But no, I did not abscond with any.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah they are very interesting,ive had them acouple of years ago,i had 1 feed on me also(accident)was cleaning their container it crawled right on me,so i know the feeling,the rest were fed frogs:( which i didn't really wanted to do.ive always liked leeches(i know i'm nuts{D ) ive also kept the giant horse/ribbon leeches aswell,they feed on worms:clap: very cool animals.

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If they'll prey on frogs, do they accept fish?
I doubt this species will, but there are leeches that feed from only fish.

Here is a pic of the wound 14 hours later. It measures about 1/8" tip to tip.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
apparently after they gorge they are good for another few months?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very interesting! I shiver just thinking of the feeling of having leeches suck my blood. How big are the ones you currently have and how big can they get?

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
apparently after they gorge they are good for another few months?
About 6 months.
Very interesting! I shiver just thinking of the feeling of having leeches suck my blood. How big are the ones you currently have and how big can they get?
It's difficult to measure since they can stretch out or contract. I would estimate stretched out maybe 2.5", with the maximum about 3.5"

You don't feel them sucking your blood. If you want to shiver, the thought of some of the guys on this board that handle giant centipedes gives me the heebie-jeebies. I compare it to getting tattoos and piercings. I've got a number of tatts, but no piercings because I don't like needles. Tattoos only scratch the surface, piercings would probably make me faint. I'm a sissy compared to Cacoseraph handling a Scolopendra gigantea!

Here's another feeding to the right of the previous wound:

Last edited:

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Holy Smokin' Catfish! :eek: I am drawn to them and yet gagged by the idea at the same time. It must be the "trainwreck effect"...