LED UVA/UVB lighting for reptiles

JackNimble

Arachnopeon
So I recently built an enclosure for a blue iguana, dimensions are 4'W X 7'H X 2'D. I currently have a mix of florescent and mercury lights installed along with a couple of ceramic heat bulbs. I don't like the short lifespan of these lights, usually the UVB fades off within 6 months, it just seems like such a waste. So I started looking for LED options for UVA/UVB lights and found a couple but they were fairly small and would only cover a narrow area within a fairly short distance. I was wondering if anyone has seen anything that would cover a larger area and or a longer distance or know were I could have something made or even some DIY information would be great. Thanks

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I don't like the short lifespan of these lights, usually the UVB fades off within 6 months, it just seems like such a waste.
An interesting side effect from the tighter restrictions on the use of mercury introduced both into the home and environment.
Just an observation. The UV output of modern day lamps under a certain wattage is unregulated. Thus Brand A light source may give a very mild amount of UV - A while Brand B may be blasting out a narsty amount of UV - C. Try to find a reputable source that clearly lists what the UV output is, preferably giving lab test results on the label as opposed to a random best guess. Also, beware cheap lights. For every quality source out there for sale there may be several fly-by-night factories cranking out gads knows what spectrum lights.
Lastly, always regard UV for what it is, a potent poison. In correct small dosages, therapeutic. But generally speaking, hazardous.

Addendum. I just bought 4 identical 9 watt UV aquarium sterilizer lights. I suppose three meant to claim UP TO 9 WATTS. They range from 6 1/2 to just shy of 9. The fourth lamp is putting out 14 watts. Fried fish, anyone?

Last edited:

JackNimble

Arachnopeon
UVC is one thing that needs to be avoided with reptiles, I found a UVA LED diode but the only UVB diode I've found also emits UVC. Maybe I'm stuck with florescent and mercury bulbs, I just don't like creating waste unnecessarily.

Last edited: