Leaving young G Chaco while on vacation

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
So as I am new to tarantula keeping I've had my first T for a little while now, she's just molted on the 23, and is eating away happily, but now I'm going on vacation, and our petsitter is not wanting to feed any of my more... 'carnivourous' creepy crawly's and while I've set all my others to be fine over the 8 days, can my chaco handle it?(I've heard the younger are less hardy)I plan to put the little thing in a dark spot in my bathroom were it's warm. I've set her up in a solo cup to size with some eco earth for digging/moisture. Her cup developes condensation each morning and evening regularly, Which I assume can last her in terms of water/prevent dessication while I'm gone. She's a very good eater and scavenger, Should I leave her some dead prey before I go? Or can I get away whith a large meal pre leave? Any advice is great! (She's my profile pic)

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
If she's eating she should be fine for 8 days. You need to leave a water dish in there that won't evaporate for a week.

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
If she's eating she should be fine for 8 days. You need to leave a water dish in there that won't evaporate for a week.
Good to know! Would a shallow water bottle cap work? Or should I leave some tiny piece of sponge?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
8 days without food is fine, just give it a small water dish (a bottle cap will do) and moisten a portion of the substrate before you leave, it'll probably flip/bury the dish just for the lols but it's always nice to give it the option.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
She's gonna fill up or bury that friggin water dish. Then five days in, she'll be like "I'm thirsty... shouldn't have purposely gotten rid of my only source of water."

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^if it flips the dish it can drink from the substrate. It shouldn't evaporate or become a mold issue in a week.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
8 days are nothing to worry about.

My rule is: check the water dish before leaving, offer (if not in pre-molt, freshly molted etc) a prey the night after. Done.

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
Yaaay! All these comments reduce my stress sooo much! I may talk one of my friends into stopping buy to check on her, but it's good to know she probably won't have any issues!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Her cup developes condensation each morning and evening regularly, Which I assume can last her in terms of water/prevent dessication while I'm gone.
This is not a good sign, If its developing condensation form temp changes just overnight then there isn't enough ventilation, that can lead to stagnate stuffy conditions that can be detrimental to the slings health. Please post full a pic of its enclosure. Other than that it will be fine for 8 days.
More ventilation with damp sub and a water dish is best. feed it right before you go and it will be fine

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
This is not a good sign, If its developing condensation form temp changes just overnight then there isn't enough ventilation, that can lead to stagnate stuffy conditions that can be detrimental to the slings health.
More ventilation with damp sub and a water dish is best. feed it right before you go and it will be fine
[QUOTE="sdsnybny, post: 2604145,
Okay stuck some more holes in it and put it in the sun to see if it persists! If it can't be fixed I have another container she can go in ( no ventilation issues either!) It's more than half full of soil, about full legspan in terms of height floor to top, will this do?

Attachments

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
[QUOTE="sdsnybny, post: 2604145,
Okay stuck some more holes in it and put it in the sun to see if it persists! If it can't be fixed I have another container she can go in ( no ventilation issues either!) It's more than half full of soil, about full legspan in terms of height floor to top, will this do?
Looks good as long as it has adequate ventilation, enjoy the vacation.

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't recommend keeping a tarantula enclosure in the sun (no matter how well ventilated). The greenhouse effect can cause it to get too hot.
Yes I was aware, I just meant after switching her out, to see if it would still cause said greenhouse affect post adding more ventilation. I plan to put her in a semi dark area of my bathroom while gone(no roasted T for me!). :) thanks for the concern though!

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Way off topic, but i would like to point out "Young G Chaco" would be a good rapper name. I dont even like rap and id check that guy out. Carry on.

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
8 days without food is fine, just give it a small water dish (a bottle cap will do) and moisten a portion of the substrate before you leave, it'll probably flip/bury the dish just for the lols but it's always nice to give it the option.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Remember to set the rules before you leave a Young Chaco. Don't throw a party. If you do clean up the mess. Hears 25 bucks for pizza. No beer! Lol