Leaving my T's for a few days

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am going to the BTS show tomorrow, and then to my boyfriend's for a few days, so I'm going to be leaving my babies for 3 days.

I've topped up all water bowls of my juvenile B. emilia, B. vagans and A. geniculata and misted the side closest to their heatmats. I've also covered 2/3 of their tanks with clingfilm in an attempt to stop it drying out too fast.

I also have two Avic slings; A. vesicolor (1") and A. geroldi (1.5"). I've put a piece of soaked cotton wool in both their tanks, and pulled them away from the heatmat slightly to try and keep the humidity relatively high.

I've covered all tanks with tights because I found an ant in my room the other day and seeing as we had a REALLY bad ant problem last year, I thought it better to play safe and make ant-proof nettings. The last thing I want to return to is 5 tanks of ants and no T's.

Is there anything else I can do? Does this sound ok? Should they be ok for the three days I am leaving them? Please note that I am in the UK so a heat mat is essential to keep them warm enough.

Thanks in advance for any additional advice
Kate :)

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think they should be fine while you are gone. I did the same thing before I was gone for a few days and my T's were fine. As long as they have water, they'll be good. For my Avic's, I just made sure their substrate was moist and I sprayed their enclosures before I left. Have fun while you're gone:)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think they've evolved just fine over the past thousands and thousands and thousands (and thousands and thousands and thousands) and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of years to be able to be left alone in a flat in the UK for 3 days =D ;P

don't worry so much!
they'll be fine!

peace
dave

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
You forgot one thing.....

Leave them a telephone number to call someone in case of an emergency;) .

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've left mine for over 2 weeks without incident and did less than you (no clingwrap). All I ever do is make sure everybody has been offered food, water everyone, mist the slings, and go. Tarantulas, even slings, are pretty much like cacti in terms of the amount of care they actually need.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have left my G. rosea, A. hentzi, B. smithi, A. geniculata, B. albapolisum(sp?) slings for over 3 weeks. I just fed them as usual before I left, and made sure they started out with some water(if they were big enough to have mini-bowls of water), slightly moistened the substrates, but not too much because I did not want to come back to find mold gardens instead of T's. They were all perfectly fine and still plump(except the B. smithi because it had molted, but it was still energetic and healthy). But then again, notice that all of the species I had as slings are very hardy species.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't like leaving heatmats on when I go away, but this might just be stupid superstition. DIsn't the room they're in sufficiently warm anyways?

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
I don't like leaving heatmats on when I go away, but this might just be stupid superstition. DIsn't the room they're in sufficiently warm anyways?
Nope because (a)we're poor students who can't afford massive heating bills, (b)my room is a cold room anyway and (c)we're in the UK and it doesn't seem as if we have our houses as warm as you lot in the USA!

They were all fine anyway, and one even decided to moult, so I'm very happy :)

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, well I'm not from the U.S and I don't pay any heatbills either. Hmm, I know uk'ers use pink fluffy carpeting in their bathroom, with mostly no showers just bathtubs, however I wasn't aware they liked the cold fog as a houseguest as well :)

Observe: If this at all came out insulting, it wasn't my intention :/

Nice to hear they were ok!

Last edited: