Least Scary vs. Most Scary

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@catfishrod69 @EulersK The pics in post 75 look like they are out of order? Maybe got mixed when they disappeared after the site upgrade or the ransom of pictures by Photobucket. Is there a way you can check please.
Are they out of order? I'm not completely familiar with all those species, but it looks alright to me.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Are they out of order? I'm not completely familiar with all those species, but it looks alright to me.
I suspect the H. sp Columbia lg and small are backwards just by looking at the size comparison in the pinch grab photos compared to the names on the pics? i cnat find any reviews or an Email for @catfishrod69 to ask them. I believe the pics were taken by Joe Rossi though. @JoeRossi ???

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What an interesting reason to bring a thread back from the dead...

I don’t find them scary... but some species are more vicious than others of course, more potent as well...
Haplopelma Minax Thailand black for example, or Theraposa Blondi, many other Baboon Species, other Asian, Australian species, Indian Species... but I’m a picky keeper like I’ve said before :) if it’s not blue, purple, blue purple, purple green, black pink, black purple, black blue, green blue, etc I don’t want to keep it....
No T is "vicious"... that is a behaviour that takes willful intent to harm, which Ts aren't capable of.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek

No T is "vicious"... that is a behaviour that takes willful intent to harm, which Ts aren't capable of.
Actually it was me that bumped the thread and for good reason the pics look mixed up on the Hapalopus species id in post #75

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight

Well vicious ( sarcasm ) in the since that some are quite aggressive and evil as all hell :vamp: lol
Tell that to my Haplopelma Lividum , or my M.Balfouri :smug: hahaha

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@catfishrod69 @EulersK The pics in post 75 look like they are out of order? Maybe got mixed when they disappeared after the site upgrade or the ransom of pictures by Photobucket. Is there a way you can check please.
Catfish hasn't been regularly active on the boards in a few years. Shame too, because he was one of our most prolific breeders of OWs, and all around good guy/helpful. A lot of the good ones are gone.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I hate when I'm about to reply to someones post and realize it's a old thread. I hate it even more when I don't realize it's a old thread. :confused:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually it was me that bumped the thread and for good reason the pics look mixed up on the Hapalopus species id in post #75
I know it was you. My post was two-part... sorry for the confusion.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Catfish hasn't been regularly active on the boards in a few years. Shame too, because he was one of our most prolific breeders of OWs, and all around good guy/helpful. A lot of the good ones are gone.
Second this, back when I joined we had a lot of experienced people on, as well as many more breeders. It's a shame though, hope more people step up and take their place in the future.

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
There's no documented deaths of any known T. Period.

I know what story you're talking about and the soldier did not die. The physician who treated him said he might have died if left untreated. But that's subject to debate. This was written about in an article by Andrew Smith of the BTS and probably the biggest reason for S. cals bad rep. Especially compared to H. mac although they're exactly the same in behaviour (they also share the same habitat).

A friend of mine got bit by a large female and although very very painful, it wasn't any worse than the other potent species he said.

I've got 3 S. calceatum and 5 H. maculata and I find their reps are grossly overexaggerated. Also seems like the people spreading it's bad rep are always the ones who do not own one.
Let's see. I've got two H. macs and one S. cal. I've only been charged by my male H. mac twice, never been charged by my female H. mac, which is the older of the two and my S. cal escaped/charged once but it I didn't feel threatened getting it back in it's enclosure because it was a juvenile. Have to say I agree. +1. One of the times the H.mac has been aggressive was right after a molt and that was because I dug him up to check on him. Stupid mistake.