Least Scary vs. Most Scary

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The life span of some dwarf species isn't even known, heck the animals themselves arent even taxonomically identified.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hard to say. Some dont live too long, but others might live alot longer.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Hard to say. Some dont live too long, but others might live alot longer.
Well then I can tell my mother I'm getting more dwarfs for SCIENCE. I am intrigued on growth rates as my H. sp Columbia Pumpkin Patch increases by about 25% every molt, that does not sound as impressive compared to larger species but for a dwarf its quite a sizable difference.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lol that makes sense. Actually the Colombia Large arent exactly dwarfs. Im pretty sure they get around 5" :). And i believe the rest of the species get around 3".
Well then I can tell my mother I'm getting more dwarfs for SCIENCE. I am intrigued on growth rates as my H. sp Columbia Pumpkin Patch increases by about 25% every molt, that does not sound as impressive compared to larger species but for a dwarf its quite a sizable difference.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol that makes sense. Actually the Colombia Large arent exactly dwarfs. Im pretty sure they get around 5" :). And i believe the rest of the species get around 3".
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they max out at 3" MAYBE 3.5" based on what I heard from another breeder, this was also when they brand new in the USA too relatively. Mine hasn't grown beyond 3". I'm sure it will molt, but the size jumps I doubt it will get like it did when younger.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats what i thought myself. But i was told otherwise. Im not for sure though. My female is a hair over 3" and doesnt seem to be gaining anymore. Maybe im totally wrong on that.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they max out at 3" MAYBE 3.5" based on what I heard from another breeder, this was also when they brand new in the USA too relatively. Mine hasn't grown beyond 3". I'm sure it will molt, but the size jumps I doubt it will get like it did when younger.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats what i thought myself. But i was told otherwise. Im not for sure though. My female is a hair over 3" and doesnt seem to be gaining anymore. Maybe im totally wrong on that.
I didn't mean if it's barely over 3 then it's not dwarf hah. But 3.5-4" dwarf no more in my book haha. I'm pretty certain mine is female.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I didn't mean if it's barely over 3 then it's not dwarf hah. But 3.5-4" dwarf no more in my book haha. I'm pretty certain mine is female.
I thought I heard some rumblings of introducing a H. sp Columbia "Medium", as there are some that do get large as catfish mentioned and there are the sp. "Small", but then we have those in the middle at 3 inches. My info is suspect though as I cannot recall where I found it. It could just be a ploy to sell slightly smaller "Large" under a new name for more money.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought I heard some rumblings of introducing a H. sp Columbia "Medium", as there are some that do get large as catfish mentioned and there are the sp. "Small", but then we have those in the middle at 3 inches. My info is suspect though as I cannot recall where I found it. It could just be a ploy to sell slightly smaller "Large" under a new name for more money.
Sounds highly SUSPECT haha.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
T. stirmi has my vote for scariest- enormous size, powerful, and highly-defensive.. with strong venom.

Least scary- Dwarf aphonopelma, lol. If they flick at you, it wont even reach you :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Least scary- Dwarf aphonopelma, lol. If they flick at you, it wont even reach you :D
Didn't know there were dwarfs for that genus! I love dwarf Ts!! I saw that species out of California that is jet black, the poor man's G. pulchra I read it can be called, it looked great to me. Different genus I THINK

Mariner1

Arachnosquire
I own 1 or 2 of the Asian and Australian species and I can't say that I am afraid of them but, I do worry sometimes about them getting out when I change their housing.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Honestly my king baboon is the least scary considering how readily he will run away from basically everything. Might be due to his small size though (2")

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Honestly my king baboon is the least scary considering how readily he will run away from basically everything. Might be due to his small size though (2")
Yeah, you are a molt or two away from a complete change in temperament. They become very hostile and will seek out a confrontation like the OBT, except they are gigantic, LOL.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Most T's are easily intimidated when they're 2", as you were when you were a kid. As adults they'll hold their ground, stand and stridulate, which displays far more courage than any human would against a comparable-sized creature.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
@catfishrod69 @EulersK The pics in post 75 look like they are out of order? Maybe got mixed when they disappeared after the site upgrade or the ransom of pictures by Photobucket. Is there a way you can check please.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
This is a simple question: what are the least "scary" Ts and most "scary" in terms of defensiveness and venom?

I know it sounds silly, but I'd love to know your opinions! :biggrin:
I don’t find them scary... but some species are more vicious than others of course, more potent as well...
Haplopelma Minax Thailand black for example, or Theraposa Blondi, many other Baboon Species, other Asian, Australian species, Indian Species... but I’m a picky keeper like I’ve said before :) if it’s not blue, purple, blue purple, purple green, black pink, black purple, black blue, green blue, etc I don’t want to keep it....