Least Scary vs. Most Scary

awiec

Arachnoprince
I thought perhaps you were blind ;)
I can't really dispute that but I would love to find someone who can tell the difference between my H. sp Columbia Pumpkin Patch and a H.triseriatus. That genus in general is a pain to the extent that people will also refer to my T as H. sp "Pumpkin Patch", which I find to be a better name because as shown earlier there are a few species that share the same abbreviated name.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't find any T's scary. I'd say your most defensive and most potent will be Asian and Australian species, though many African baboons will be among that list, too.
I'll rephrase for myself: "I don't find T's scary in general. I do respect certain species certain more than others, however - among them any Asian, African, India species." :) On the upside, even when I accepted that I was probably ready for OWs, I am still applying the same care when dealing with them. Simply because the hobby doesn't need another person over here who gets bitten. (Poecilotheria spp. are actually forbidden to be kept in certain parts of Germany already - don't need to add the part I live in to that!)

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I'll rephrase for myself: "I don't find T's scary in general. I do respect certain species certain more than others, however - among them any Asian, African, India species." :) On the upside, even when I accepted that I was probably ready for OWs, I am still applying the same care when dealing with them. Simply because the hobby doesn't need another person over here who gets bitten. (Poecilotheria spp. are actually forbidden to be kept in certain parts of Germany already - don't need to add the part I live in to that!)
And that's exactly why we tell all these chuckleheads who want to handle a Pokie or any new hobbyists who want to start with a Pokie not to. It is entirely possible to end up with a Pokie (or a broader net) ban stateside.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large, Hapalopus sp. Colombia Small, and Hapalopus triseriatus are pretty eacy to tell apart. :)
I can't really dispute that but I would love to find someone who can tell the difference between my H. sp Columbia Pumpkin Patch and a H.triseriatus. That genus in general is a pain to the extent that people will also refer to my T as H. sp "Pumpkin Patch", which I find to be a better name because as shown earlier there are a few species that share the same abbreviated name.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large, Hapalopus sp. Colombia Small, and Hapalopus triseriatus are pretty eacy to tell apart. :)
Well I don't own H.triseriatus myself so I am not very acquainted with it, its very possible that my friend's T could have been mislabeled and is actually Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large, as I see no difference in our slings.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only scary spider I have in my collection is my female L. parahybana. There are reasons why I put her in an adult sized enclosure with a locking lid when she was only about 4". :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've looked at pictures and I can see differences. But I'm never sure if it's species variation differences between species haha. At what age can you tell them apart? And what features do you use? I would assume early one you can tell because my H sp Columbia hasn't changed at all since it was a tiny sling.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ill have to get a pic of my females. Unfortunately my female Small died, so that one i cant get.
Well I don't own H.triseriatus myself so I am not very acquainted with it, its very possible that my friend's T could have been mislabeled and is actually Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large, as I see no difference in our slings.

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 07:38 PM ----------

Usually the Large you can tell when they are 2nd instars or after a molt or two more. The Small and triseriatus look more alike, but the features are easily able to be told apart. Ill contact someone and see if he can post the pics here actually.
I've looked at pictures and I can see differences. But I'm never sure if it's species variation differences between species haha. At what age can you tell them apart? And what features do you use? I would assume early one you can tell because my H sp Columbia hasn't changed at all since it was a tiny sling.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok here are the pictures. All photos were taken by Joe Rossi, and he has credit for them, and has given me permission to post them for him.

Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large

Hapalopus sp. Colombia Small

---------- Post added 04-08-2014 at 04:30 PM ----------

Hapalopus triseriatus

Hapalopus triseriatus Lowland

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok here are the pictures. All photos were taken by Joe Rossi, and he has credit for them, and has given me permission to post them for him.

These explain A LOT. I've never seen ventral pics of the others! Thanks so much Catfish!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your more than welcome. Joe is the man to give credit to though :).
True, but you knew the info and were willing to post it, so you get credit too my man. You didn't have to volunteer :D

As we all know there are "takers" on this forum that just dump out questions and contribute little or nothing in return. And there are others that contribute like yourself, big difference.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lol that will work. Im looking forward to getting another Small female, and a triseriatus lowland female. Right now my triseriatus female is fresh, so i hope i can find a male.
True, but you knew the info and were willing to post it, so you get credit too my man. You didn't have to volunteer :D

awiec

Arachnoprince
Lol that will work. Im looking forward to getting another Small female, and a triseriatus lowland female. Right now my triseriatus female is fresh, so i hope i can find a male.
Dwarfs live under 10 years am I right?