Least Scary vs. Most Scary

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Been doing that a bunch lately. Here, at home, work. Must be something in my water.
Not you, the prodders of the world, that feel they have to poke at their spiders. And then blame the spider when it's had enough of that nonsense.

ieatkats

Arachnopeon
Not you, the prodders of the world, that feel they have to poke at their spiders. And then blame the spider when it's had enough of that nonsense.
once again I didn't say I poked the spider but it's cool. I know that he was doing what he is programmed to do defend his territory

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
It seems we may be coming to a point here…anybody care to make it? A few comments have bordered on "I know something you don't know" Well, I don't know a lot of things but i am not into people feeding their egos. Feed your spiders and if you got something clear to say, don't build a puzzle, just say it. some of us care about our spiders a lot and love having this forum to hear from those who learned the hard way. And by the way this thread is about some species being more likely to cause you harm than others..whether by venom potency, speed, climbing ability, unpredictability, etc. I guess the real question may be "what species don't care how much you respect it?" I am a slow mover….a habit I adopted knowing how bad a snake's eyesight is…if I am being a gentlemen and a spider teleports and bites me, I may just think that is a species that should not be in my care.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I have urticating hair rick….I shave my head once a weak and its mad prickly..so back off! lol

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Keeping a calm and level head is the best recipe for not having holes in your hand. I suppose I listed my pumpkin as "scary" more due to the fact that he is not afraid of me one bit and will bolt, so really I'm more "scared" of losing him.
It sounds so much better when you use the Latin names for your spiders, and not the cutesy nicknames. Then we know what kind of spider you're talking about.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It sounds so much better when you use the Latin names for your spiders, and not the cutesy nicknames. Then we know what kind of spider you're talking about.
He called it H. sp Columbia on the first page of this thread. We know what species he's talking about when he said "Pumpkin".

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
He called it H. sp Columbia on the first page of this thread. We know what species he's talking about when he said "Pumpkin".
True, but we shouldn't have to go back thru pages of posts in a thread to figure out what kind of spider he's talking about. These threads go on for days or weeks, and there's a lot of them. I don't want to have to reread pages of the old posts to know what species someone is talking about. It's MUCH more considerate for people to use the spider's Latin name when talking about their them here. Save the nicknames for home.

awiec

Arachnoprince
True, but we shouldn't have to go back thru pages of posts in a thread to figure out what kind of spider he's talking about. These threads go on for days or weeks, and there's a lot of them. I don't want to have to reread pages of the old posts to know what species someone is talking about. It's MUCH more considerate for people to use the spider's Latin name when talking about their them here. Save the nicknames for home.
I was half asleep when I was writing but yes I did mean H. sp Columbia but there is also another dwarf specie that also goes by H. sp Columbia but the genus is Holothele instead of Hapolopus, so I will just type H. sp Columbia "Pumpkin Patch" from now one so everyone s clear as to what I'm talking about.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I remembered reading it earlier in the thread on a previous day, hence why I brought it up. In many cases its better to use the latin nomenclature, yes. Though I must admit, some scientific names sound just as ridiculous as many common names do, if not more so. That said, I'll use whatever name I choose to use in the appropriate context of the conversation. This includes some abbreviations as well...for example; if I say OBT or GBB in a thread, most every hobbyist knows exactly what species I'm referring to.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I was half asleep when I was writing but yes I did mean H. sp Columbia but there is also another dwarf specie that also goes by H. sp Columbia but the genus is Holothele instead of Hapolopus, so I will just type H. sp Columbia "Pumpkin Patch" from now one so everyone s clear as to what I'm talking about.
And I thought 'Pumpkin' was a nickname you gave it. My mistake. There's so many people here with spiders they've given bizarre nicknames to, I get confused.

cold blood

Staff member
Dang viper, that's the best pic of that specie I have seen. Now I see why everybody gushes over them...that's a cool looking t!

awiec

Arachnoprince
And I thought 'Pumpkin' was a nickname you gave it. My mistake. There's so many people here with spiders they've given bizarre nicknames to, I get confused.
I don't blame you, the dwarf species are all very similar and inhabit similar habitat and kinda have the same patterns besides maybe H. sp Columbia "Bumblebee" and O.diamantinensis as those sticks out as pretty unique. I've seen people throw around pumpkin patch like OBT and GBB just because its a pretty unique spider and hopefully will get some more love in the hobby.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dang viper, that's the best pic of that specie I have seen.
oh I KNOW it is! Plus you can enlarge that one too, it's a large image with good resolution.

Empty your inbox my man.

---------- Post added 04-03-2014 at 02:19 PM ----------

the dwarf species are all very similar and inhabit similar habitat and kinda have the same patterns besides maybe H. sp Columbia "Bumblebee" and O.diamantinensis as those sticks out as pretty unique.

So you think E. sp Reds/Yellows are pretty similar to H. sp Colubmia, both the Pumpkin Patch (and the other 2 smaller species of this genus) and similar to H sp. Columbia/Bumblebee. And resemble each other physically too??? What makes you think that??? I have to read this one hahah.

I doubt the habitats of E sp Red/Yellow are similar to either H. sp Columbia.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
So you think E. sp Reds/Yellows are pretty similar to H. sp Colubmia, both the Pumpkin Patch (and the other 2 smaller species of this genus) and similar to H sp. Columbia/Bumblebee. And resemble each other physically too??? What makes you think that??? I have to read this one hahah.

I doubt the habitats of E sp Red/Yellow are similar to either H. sp Columbia.
I was talking more along around the lines of the Cyclosternum genus and forgot about those guys.