Least potent parabuthus?

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
So, I'm looking to buy a parabuthus sp, and I'd like a bit of advice.
I'm not a first-time scorpion keeper, at all.. I own some H. spinifer, but also a young H. arizonensis and 2 Buthus occitanus.
I'd like to know which species has the least potent venom, and if possible has the most solid colours, not something pale etc.. anything bright is ok: bright brown, yellow.. not black as there are only 2 species from what I remember, both of which are pretty potent..
So.. I hope you can help me out guys! :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think having the least potent Parabuthus is going to do you much good if you get stung. It's still going to be extremely unpleasant and your life may be at risk. Kudos to you though for having scorp experience at least before jumping in the deep end! I'm not as familiar with Parabuthus (I keep mostly Tityus), so I'm sure someone will know more about the available species that aren't just black.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Honestly, I have no idea what the "least potent" Parabuthus is. It's like asking which can kill you more easily; a tiger or a shark. One is probably more lethal, but either you'd never want to come in contact with either like @pannaking22 said. They are a pretty hot genus in general, so trying to find a mild-venomed Parabuthus will prove difficult. As for one with color, how about Parabuthus villosus? There are videos (The Spiderman especially) that has the orange morph of that species. They are absolutely gorgeous being shades ot orange, yellow, and dark red. That's the most colorful I could think of, most ,like you say are, are either varying shades of brown, light yellow, or dark black.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Ok, I understand.
I'd love a Parabuthus villosus, they are my go-to scorpions, but my wife isn't quite ok with that.. but if all Parabuthus species can be deadly, I guess I'll have to wait for now!

callum b

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's a tricky question to ask, and also to give a good answer to.

I think the best answer is, and this is kind of reiterating what has been stated above, the genus Parabuthus contains several species that have been attributed to serious envenomations, some occasionally causing mortality. Little work has been done on the toxicity of most Parabuthus species. Many members of this genus are large in size, so can potentially deliver a fair amount of venom in a sting. And finally, many Parabuthus are found in remote areas, meaning few people come into contact with them so there are few documented cases on the effects of a sting from these species.

So, from that I derive an answer of 'who knows'?! All Parabuthus spp. should be treated with caution, all probably possess a strong venom and 2 species, P. granulatus and P. transvaalicus, have caused deaths (there may be 1 or 2 others. P. mossambicensis??).

However, should you write off keeping this genus because of their venom? I would say no, so long as you have a bit of common sense, prior experience of working with scorpions, secure housing and most importantly, agreement and understanding from other people in your household. Parabuthus spp. are really fantastic scorpions to keep. As juveniles they are fast and a little skittish, but as they become larger, above 5/6i, I have found most species/individuals become very placid, slow and easy to work with. For instance, I keep Buthus occitanus, as you do, and I find this species and other Buthus spp. far more flighty, quick to sting and trickier to work with than any Parabuthus that I've kept. Parabuthus villosus in particular, is about as good as it gets as display scorpion. Huge, comes in a choice of 3 colours and to top it off, is active in the daytime!

Pipa

Arachnoknight
I can't ever find P. villosus here in the states.. seem to be quiet rare .. I had a hand some male specimen for a couple of years ... finally sold him.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Thank you for your replies. callum, your last condition is the problem I'm having. There's an 8 yo girl in the house, and therefore I can't take the risk atm, although she knows that she CLEARLY mustn't go anywhere near the tanks.. I think I'll just pass for now. But when she gets older, when I clearly know I can be confident with her, I'll just go for a P. villosus typical. I'll just stick to my new Opistophthalmus pallipes ;)
And btw the B.occitanus I have are from France, so there's almost no risk with her. And again, she never touches anything!

callum b

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:-0 O. pallipes! I know they cost a pretty penny!! Good luck with them.