Least favorite tarantula species

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
It's been over a year since there has been a post about peoples least favorite species.

My least favorite spider I've kept was a female Haplopelma lividum (cobalt blue). Firstly, I found her abdomen to be so tiny compared to my new worlds and I thought it gave her an overall goofy/male appearance. Also, she was crazy defensive, to the point where she would drip venom and flip over backwards to keep a threat posture. I almost never caught that T eating because it was so busy trying to scare away my tongs. Lastly she quickly became a pet hole and I didn't see her once for the last two years of her life (not even a few legs!). The only way I knew she was alive was because she'd throw her food bulbous out of her burrow. Based off my one experience with H. Lividum I would not take another unless it was gifted to me.

Id really like to hear your least favorite species and why. What T's have you found to be pet rocks? Which ones are so defensive that even feeding them is a chore? Do you hate avics because they projectile shit everywhere? Let me know your thoughts!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Euathlus parvulus. Honestly, under normal lighting -- it just looked small and brown, nothing really special.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
H lividum has great colors, a interesting lifestyle and a attitude, thats all i look for. guess it depends on the person...

my least favorite would have to be G porteri, because it has boring colors, doesnt move much, doesnt change things in the enclosure and cant be counted on to eat.
ps cursing isnt really tolerated here. ;)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
For me, it would probably have to be my G. pulchripes as of late. Not that I hate her as a T, it's just that mine is VERY inactive (not sure of premolt, hasn't eaten in a good 4 months at least). She just sits around and moves around once every day or less! Love her, but her no movement is a big factor. Love T's that are always out and doing something ;) Still love her though. Btw, agree with @Venom1080. G. rosea are probably my least favorite spider that I have seen. Just seems like a very plain, almost boring T. No offense to the G. rosea fanbase :)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I really could not pick a least favorite out of the Ts I have. That said, I agree with others in the thread about G. rosea. I can't see myself ever getting one.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Definitely G. porteri, by appearance, habits, mood swings, how common they are, I do not ever see myself getting one, maybe G rosea, but definitely not porteri.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
G. rosea or B. smithi. Nothing against them as tarantulas, but the rosea are a dime a dozen in the hobby and i don't understand the continuing hype behind the smithi.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I actually haven't disliked any T yet. my p. irminia threatens me a lot, but I think it's kind of cute. the one I'm most "worried" about is the euathlus sp red. just seems so fragile and so curious I'm afraid he will get a toe stuck someday. My b. boehmei both kick hairs like crazy but it hasn't bothered me yet.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh, not the hate on G.rosea. I have at the moment a baby the size of a nail, that my cousin parked to me, and I have let him/her out for a walk, today, while cleaning. They are lovely in a certain way, and strangely, that little is almost always hungry and quite "active" :-s

I prefer G.rosea over B.smithi -.-

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Probably Avicularia spp., I don't know why but they don't interest me tiniest bit, i have kept them but... i dunno

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Avicularia and Poecilotheria are seriously two genus I'm not even interested a bit. Never was, since '92 when I started. Traded a juve A.avicularia back then not even after three months.

Striking colors, no matter, anyway.

I'm an hardcore fan of OW obligate burrowers and NW so called "intermediate" T's like genus Ephebopus, Megaphobema, 'Phamps' and such. Genus Psalmopoeus for life when it comes to arboreals.

Basically I have (now, I mean, not when I started) among my collection, a couple of females (plus a G.rosea sling) 'Grammo/Brachy' due to rescue from annoyed owners or thanks to those fellas screaming anti-spiders Ladies u_u

and an old like hell B.albopilosum grumpy witch that I love. I suppose she's 13 or 14, mah I don't even remember... too much T's "under the bridge" :)

Oh, and "dwarfs" as well, even if after watching Viper69 pics and the way he speak about those I'm changing my mind :-s

Last edited by a moderator:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theraphosas. Dealing with terrible hairs for a brown drab looking spider doesn't appeal to me. There's so many more beautiful spiders that get large like Pamphobeteus that interest me much more.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Theraphosas. Dealing with terrible hairs for a brown drab looking spider doesn't appeal to me.
Ah ah, I understand what you mean. Anyway I found genus Theraphosa aestethic amazing, they look so pockmarked kitsch, sort of T's exposed to a green light radioactive 'fallout', lovely 8 legged ghouls :)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
My least favourite species is Haplopelma minax. I had a specimen that liked to come charging out of her burrow, fangs first, at the slightest vibrations in her enclosure. As a result I had to block the entrance to her burrow in order to do cage maintenance. My other Asians (I have two different Chilobrachys and a H. lividum) have never displayed any similar behaviour. Now, around a year ago, I did some work in another city for a month. When I returned I was tired and I had to deal with all my T´s. For one reason or another, I forgot to block the entrance of her burrow, and in a split second, the minax run up my arm. After that I was fed up with her, and I gave her away. I received two bottles of really nice red wine in return, so I certainly feel that I got the better end of that trade :)

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah ah, I understand what you mean. Anyway I found genus Theraphosa aestethic amazing, they look so pockmarked kitsch, sort of T's exposed to a green light radioactive 'fallout', lovely 8 legged ghouls :)
I do think apophysis is one of the better looking Theraphosas, but I still wouldn't go through the hairs. Not worth it. I can only merely tolerate my N.coloratovillosus hairs, and they're only 1.5 inches.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
For one reason or another, I forgot to block the entrance of her burrow, and in a split second, the minax run up my arm.
It's amazing how gentle, kind, benign, compassionate is the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her

Such a thing is impossible when dealing with Her. By far She's the Holy Mother of every Theraphosidae :)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
It's amazing how gentle, kind, benign, compassionate is the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her

Such a thing is impossible when dealing with Her. By far She's the Holy Mother of every Theraphosidae :)
I am still waiting to determine how many Goddesses I have among my four small ones. They have moulted once during my care, but they are still way too small to sex. With their growth rate, it´s a bit like waiting for Godot.