Least favorite tarantula species

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's an ongoing joke between me and the Pamphobeteus lover there. ;) We have different views on which genera are worth collecting.
Yep, guessed that: but I had a good chance for joke about the 'Fashion T's' enthusiasts, ih ih :pompous:

carbarbobber

Arachnopeon
So far, my A. geniculata is just a pet coconut. She's not in premolt, but she created a tunnel system under her coconut hide and I haven't seen her for a couple weeks. Everyone else I have is out and about webbing or chilling, even my B. albopilosum is seen more.
She is a pretty spooder, if I ever see her again.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So far, my A. geniculata is just a pet coconut. She's not in premolt, but she created a tunnel system under her coconut hide and I haven't seen her for a couple weeks. Everyone else I have is out and about webbing or chilling, even my B. albopilosum is seen more.
She is a pretty spooder, if I ever see her again.
Is it a sling? They tend to burrow as slings, but after the 5 cm legspan they stay out in the open more and more, so don't give up hope yet :)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I want to start with the disclaimer that I can find something to enjoy/appreciate in any species of tarantula - from the boring and brown to the cantankerous, colorful, and coveted. I don't think there's any single species I'd turn my nose up at if someone offered it to me (if I don't already have it), as long as I had the space and means to take care of it.

Out of all the species in my collection, I've admittedly been the most disappointed with my Grammostola pulchra slings. Going on 3 years of having these buggers and only one of them is starting to sport adult coloration - it's the largest of the three and I don't think it measures past 2 inches. Its sibling is the smallest and hasn't molted for me in over a year despite being fat as the broad side of a barn. The third one is my favorite of the three, only because it has a habit of curiously exploring when I open the enclosure, unlike the other two which are relatively skittish. I'm sure my feelings on them will change after they gain some more size, but I don't think I'll be investing in any more pulchra for a while.

Despite seeming like they'd be right up my alley, I don't feel any inclination to get a Lampropelma violaceopes. I think they're attractive Ts, certainly, but something about it just leaves me feeling pretty indifferent to them overall.

boina

Lady of the mites
I just read through all 8 pages of this - 8 pages of tarantula dislikes. Why did I do that???

Anyway, now I need to put my opinion here:

4. Theraphosa...military grade hairs on a big brown t....no thanks.
1. This. Definitely this.

2. Other brown spiders. I have quite a few Pamphos but I'm a bit disillusioned with them. I mean, why would I need several large brown, very similar looking spiders whose only relevant difference is in the name tag?

3. NO HORNS. If it has a horn I don't like it.

4. Pet holes. Like the whole former Haplopelma genus plus some others, too. I just don't see the appeal in a box of dirt with a hole in the middle.

5. Blue hype species, like P. met., T. seladonia and the like. I have a few blue ones but only because they have some other redeeming qualities. Generally I prefer other colors.

6. S. cal. Fast, skittish, brown-ish, potent, not very visibly… not really for me. I've been thinking about the H. mac because of this fantastic pattern, but if I don't see it what's the point?

Hmmm, I guess I've become picky… ;)

Minty

@londontarantulas
I just read through all 8 pages of this - 8 pages of tarantula dislikes. Why did I do that???

Anyway, now I need to put my opinion here:

1. This. Definitely this.

2. Other brown spiders. I have quite a few Pamphos but I'm a bit disillusioned with them. I mean, why would I need several large brown, very similar looking spiders whose only relevant difference is in the name tag?

4. Pet holes. Like the whole former Haplopelma genus plus some others, too. I just don't see the appeal in a box of dirt with a hole in the middle.

5. Blue hype species, like P. met., T. seladonia and the like. I have a few blue ones but only because they have some other redeeming qualities. Generally I prefer other colors.

6. S. cal. Fast, skittish, brown-ish, potent, not very visibly… not really for me. I've been thinking about the H. mac because of this fantastic pattern, but if I don't see it what's the point?

Hmmm, I guess I've become picky… ;)
What is it about the horns, you dislike?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Oh wow, I am with you on this 100%.
You guys just don't like fun. :p

I am curious as well though, what is it about the horns you two don't like? I suppose in the case of the new Ceratogyrus I can understand, because that thing looks bizarre. Do the smaller horns on species like darlingi and marshalli have the same effect for you? What about species that have less of a horn and is more like a little "button", like C. sanderi or S. hoffmanni? Do those bother you as well?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
You guys just don't like fun. :p

I am curious as well though, what is it about the horns you two don't like? I suppose in the case of the new Ceratogyrus I can understand, because that thing looks bizarre. Do the smaller horns on species like darlingi and marshalli have the same effect for you? What about species that have less of a horn and is more like a little "button", like C. sanderi or S. hoffmanni? Do those bother you as well?
It’s not about less of or more of a horn, it’s ALL about a horn or no horn.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I don’t know, it feels weird.

(That rating was mis click by the way) :angelic:
Gotcha! Sometimes things just don't look right, and while I personally disagree in this circumstance I can understand where you're coming from. Thanks for indulging my curiosity. :pompous:

Uuuuuhuh, sure it was. ;)

Minty

@londontarantulas
Gotcha! Sometimes things just don't look right, and while I personally disagree in this circumstance I can understand where you're coming from. Thanks for indulging my curiosity. :pompous:

Uuuuuhuh, sure it was. ;)
Just noticed he doesn’t give out any ratings lol.
Well @BoyFromLA already gave the answer:

It's really hard to describe, it's just weirding me out. It looks as if it doesn't belong there.
Fair enough, I can understand that. I feel that way about baked beans.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
1) Theraphosa, the reasons have already been covered by the others.

2) Honestly not that big of a fan of the Grammostolas. I'm going to be crucified for this but they always just seemed "meh" to me.

3) The orange color form OBT hurts my eyes, I don't want a neon tarantula.

I think that's it for now. I may come in and update this as I find things I don't like.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Honestly not that big of a fan of the Grammastolas. I'm going to be crucified for this but they always just seemed "meh" to me.
Grammostola, God damn it. Grammostola. With the 'o' :pompous:

Why I keep see an helluva of Americans typing Grammastola and, sometimes, 'Dubai roaches' instead of B.dubia? Are those roaches an Arabic variant you can find inside a oil barrel? :bored:

:) :playful: :kiss:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Grammostola, God damn it. Grammostola. With the 'o' :pompous:

Why I keep see an helluva of Americans typing Grammastola and, sometimes, 'Dubai roaches' instead of B.dubia? Are those roaches an Arabic variant you can find inside a oil barrel? :bored:

:) :playful: :kiss:
Pretty sure "Dubai" roach is a result of that pesky autocorrect. ;)

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
any brachypelmas I am very disappointed in my B. smithi. been thinking about getting a LP or N chromatus, hope I don't get disappointed. I love all my Ts, and all them are the best...EXCEPT for that boring B smithi.