Least favorite tarantula species

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
might look up for Chilobrachys genus, they are super-interesting ;)
Ok I forgot about some of the Chilobrachys species. I would get a sp. electric blue in a heartbeat.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Honestly, Old World t's don't interest me very much.:meh:

Lol, might get a Ceratogyrus sp. later though, those horns look awesome.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Honestly, Old World t's don't interest me very much.:meh:

Lol, might get a Ceratogyrus sp. later though, those horns look awesome.
Right now I don't have much interest in OW T's either. I do have some interest in Monocrentropus balfouri but they seem to be fairly unavailable. The Ceratogyrus sp. also do look very interesting.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
:eek: You can leave now
:/

OW venom + OW attitude + kid who has to wear skinny jeans because normal jeans are too wide and with a belt on, the jeans fold in the waist and digs into the hip hard, but still has to wear a belt with skinny jeans on because he's so skinny, and is often compared to a twig = not a fun time

And I mean, pretty much all the colors you find in OW can be found in NW too.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
yes but the hairs... i'd rather have a T that i need to be super careful for bite than inevitable constant stream of hairs whenever i open enclosures

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
:angelic:
Who wouldn't? Lol
Tons of other, cheaper species that are "electric blue", take my A. versi for example:
image.jpeg

Even more stunning in real life.

yes but the hairs... i'd rather have a T that i need to be super careful for bite than inevitable constant stream of hairs whenever i open enclosures
I guess that could be a point, but I barely react to hairs. Even my stirmi barely stirs a reaction. The hairs from the stirmi are like that of a weak ant sting to me, I just don't react to urticating hairs much.

Last edited by a moderator:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
:/

OW venom + OW attitude + kid who has to wear skinny jeans because normal jeans are too wide and with a belt on, the jeans fold in the waist and digs into the hip hard, but still has to wear a belt with skinny jeans on because he's so skinny, and is often compared to a twig = not a fun time

Probably a good idea to gain 70 or so pounds before you pick up a pokie Lol!

It's not so much about the color It's how O/Ws behave that I love.. Many N/Ws have all the qualitys that I look for In Ts.. Ephebopus, psalmos,Taps Avics.. I don't dislike N/Ws at all.. I'm not a huge fan of wimpy terrestrials N/W or O/W..

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I guess that could be a point, but I barely react to hairs. Even my stirmi barely stirs a reaction. The hairs from the stirmi are like that of a weak ant sting to me, I just don't react to urticating hairs much.
you are super lucky there, i was like that too in start. it all started as super bad reaction on N. chromatus hairs(worst ones by far) after 6 months of owning one, and then it started to happen with other T's as well. I literally get small blisters all over my hands that are super itchy and last for 2-3 days

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Probably a good idea to gain 70 or so pounds before you pick up a pokie Lol!

It's not so much about the color It's how O/Ws behave that I love.. Many N/Ws have all the qualitys that I look for In Ts.. Ephebopus, psalmos,Taps Avics.. I don't dislike N/Ws at all.. I'm not a huge fan of wimpy terrestrials N/W or O/W..
One of the funniest things in the hobby for me is feeding. And I mean huge amounts of NW have fantastic feeding responses.

Lol, fun fact my upper body strength (pretty much my strength in general) sucks A LOT. My collarbones stick out like an OBT's fangs in a threat pose and I'm about 1/4" away from being able to wrap my hand al the way around my upper arm. I also always fail the push up tests lol.

you are super lucky there, i was like that too in start. it all started as super bad reaction on N. chromatus hairs(worst ones by far) after 6 months of owning one, and then it started to happen with other T's as well. I literally get small blisters all over my hands that are super itchy and last for 2-3 days
Hm, maybe I'll start having a reaction. I have an N. chromatus and it's pretty much bald from kicking, but never received a reaction from it. Only noticeable reactions have been my Pamphobeteus sp. SDG and my T. stirmi.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
+1 to the above.. @BobBarley Enjoy it while it lasts young blood.. Up untill about 3yrs ago I could get haired by anything and not react... Now I hiss and cringe when when teeny slings get attitude and start flicking!

I do have some interest in Monocrentropus balfouri but they seem to be fairly unavailable.
They aren't really that hard to find.. Still kind of pricy by some standard's as far as slings go but they are worth every cent!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I don't understand this stream of hairs. I now have over 50 NW T's and no hairs have bothered me yet. Yes. I need to avoid them just like you need to avoid the bite. I open my T containers three times a week for feeding and maintenance.

They aren't really that hard to find.. Still kind of pricy by some standard's as far as slings go but they are worth every cent!
I like them since their webbing style reminds me of N. incei and GBB's which I already have. I didn't see them on any price list that I view regularly last time I looked so if they are there, I suspect you are right on the high price.

I would figure they would be my introduction to OW's, but right now I don't see anything else that excites me. I love arboreals and the Psalms, Avic's, and Tapi's are giving me satisfaction on that area.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I like them since their webbing style reminds me of N. incei and GBB's which I already have. I didn't see them on any price list that I view regularly last time I looked so if they are there, I suspect you are right on the high price.

I would figure they would be my introduction to OW's, but right now I don't see anything else that excites me. I love arboreals and the Psalms, Avic's, and Tapi's are giving me satisfaction on that area.
As far as O/W attitude they aren't all that bad.. If your used to tossing psalmos and taps then your golden..
They are very heavy webbers that also burrow extensively but mine is visible alot and he seems to be getting bolder with age..

I Really can't say enough about this species they are a must have IMO..

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
@BobBarley @14pokies don't get me wrong I absolutely love versi's and it was my first T about 4 years ago, but that blue is not "electric" like this species. At least in my dictionary it isn't.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
One of the funniest things in the hobby for me is feeding. And I mean huge amounts of NW have fantastic feeding responses.

Lol, fun fact my upper body strength (pretty much my strength in general) sucks A LOT. My collarbones stick out like an OBT's fangs in a threat pose and I'm about 1/4" away from being able to wrap my hand al the way around my upper arm. I also always fail the push up tests lol.

Hm, maybe I'll start having a reaction. I have an N. chromatus and it's pretty much bald from kicking, but never received a reaction from it. Only noticeable reactions have been my Pamphobeteus sp. SDG and my T. stirmi.
I do avoid the NW's that have reputations as terrible hair kickers. My B. Smithi is the only T I own that has a reputation and it has went well; but hasn't had a molt either so maybe that has reduced the ones in the enclosure for when I do maintenance. I avoided N. Chromatus simply because of the comments about its' hairs.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
@BobBarley @14pokies don't get me wrong I absolutely love versi's and it was my first T about 4 years ago, but that blue is not "electric" like this species. At least in my dictionary it isn't.
I agree but I love versicolors..

I think the point Bob was making was bang for the buck and keeper compatibility..
Not many species are as gorgeous as versicolor at that price and because of their temperment they are a good choice for most keepers with little experience..

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I've been researching for months now, looking for that one t I can invest in to later breed and raise. After all that time the brown Hysterocrates laticeps seems to be winning. I guess to each his own.

wilkinss77

Arachnopeon
I've really never been interested in obligate burrowers (ducks @Chris LXXIX 's punch). They just don't appeal to me...I can respect them as very interesting animals with some very interesting habits but keeping them just isn't for me. I'm much more of an arboreal fan.
Ditto. Plus, all the baboon t's, because they're just too nasty. All of mine are NW & either opportunistic burrowers (Brachys, Grammies & giant birdeater types) & aboreals (Avics).