Learned another lesson today... (H troglodytes)

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I got a tiny i2 H troglodytes scorpling in May 2019. Nice little critter, not the greatest appetite and barely grew in size. They are so slow to mature.
It's about 2.5cm/1inch including metasoma.
I tried feeding it pinhead crickets last year but those proved to be a bit too quick for the scorpling, a small mealworm worked better.
1 mealworm every month to keep it a happy camper, usually it takes it straight from the tweezers.
Last week it was feeding time again but this time he wasn't very interested in the mealworm, so I chose to leave it in there for the night.
Normally I always check the next day if the live food has been eaten. If not, then I remove the food and try again one week later.
But this time I screwed up !!!
For some reason I totally forgot about the mealworm that I put in there last week... Shouldn't be a big problem.... right ??
Today I looked into the enclosure, couldn't find the scorpling.
I grabbed the UV-torch and was horrified. All that was left were the two chela, the rest was gone.... even the telson!
I'm pretty amazed that the stupid mealworm outsmarted one of my scorpions, that worm nearly ate the entire scorp !
That mighty scorpion with it's 8 legs, capable chela and a dangerous stinger is now gone !
Sure we all know about their vulnerability when they're freshly molted, but that was not the case in this instance.
I thought I'd share this experience and shamefully share the story hoping that this is a warning to any other hobbyist that is raising tiny scorplings.
I underestimated that little mealworm, but won't let that happen to me again.... :depressed:

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Sorry to hear this... this is horrible, I've heard of this happening from crickets but not little mealworms. :(

Did you put that little mealworm in with your H Tamulus after ?

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Did you put that little mealworm in with your H Tamulus after ?
LOL !!! :D:rofl::rofl:
No, I crunched it with the tweezers.....
this happening from crickets but not little mealworms
Yeah, scorpion vs mealworm.... who knew the mealworm could win ?
In my mind there was no way in hell that mealworm could harm the scorpion....
The mealworm proved me wrong.... very wrong....

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
LOL !!! :D:rofl::rofl:
No, I crunched it with the tweezers.....

Yeah, scorpion vs mealworm.... who knew the mealworm could win ?
In my mind there was no way in hell that mealworm could harm the scorpion....
The mealworm proved me wrong.... very wrong....
I definitely would not have let the little mealworm go so quickly... I would have made sure it went slowly from another scorpion, maybe one with large pedipalps to tear it apart :rofl:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Prekilled food is taken no problem by scorpions.

This is my tiny Chaerilus sp celebes tucking into a section of mealworm.

C586A7CE-A311-492A-B3EE-99D1BD2E238B.jpeg
A meal/morioworm should NEVER be left alive in an enclosure. Doesn't take them long to burrow down and then there's no way of your scorpion/spider/tarantula/centipede finding them. But they'll definitely find your pet when they're at their most vulnerable.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Sorry for your loss, do you plan on getting another one?
Yes, when the chance comes up and the price is right, sure.
I also have a adult female, she's a monster !
IMG_20200405_164406777.jpg
She doesn't even care for the largest of my crickets, only XL grasshoppers (3inch) get her excited...

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
That sucks. Especially when I know firat hand how sloooooooooowly they grow. To lose a little one with a year of keeping in...no bueno.

My female is gravid again (been 2 years since her last litter) and the babies from that last litter are all 3i currently... One of which looks like it us thinking about maybe becoming 4i in another couple of months....

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Yes, when the chance comes up and the price is right, sure.
I also have a adult female, she's a monster !
View attachment 352663
She doesn't even care for the largest of my crickets, only XL grasshoppers (3inch) get her excited...
Such a shame your little one was eaten by that mealworm... so sad :(
She is MASSIVE... looks goofy with her skinny tail and giant body, she is beautiful though!!! She'll live for a very long time (30 years!). It's not surprising she'll only take the biggest feeders you have!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Alwaaaaaaays crush the head!!!

1) prevents digging
2) destroys its mandibles

Sorry to hear bud!

ignithium

Arachnoknight
If we are sharing these kinds of stories....... I had an i2 P. transvaalicus eaten by roaches.

Twice.

Only transvaals. Never had this happen to any other animal.