Leaproach- new species of roach found in cape town, africa. DREAM FEEDER?!

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I seem to recall reading that they're pretty small, like 1/4" or 3/8"...

Bill

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Feeders!? Hell no, dream PETS. A brand new species with a unique adaptation deserves better than for hobbyists to immediately think "ooh, food for my completely conventional inverts!"

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Indeed I second Scythemantis's comment, definitely absolutely evolutionarily amazing. The adaptation of roaches and their related cousins are absolutely amazing. Hell once we're all gone they'll be working their way up the ladder.

Eric

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Feeders!? Hell no, dream PETS. A brand new species with a unique adaptation deserves better than for hobbyists to immediately think "ooh, food for my completely conventional inverts!"
A very inspiring response, but I think this species in particular has been overhyped. There are plenty of roach species in culture with much more interesting adaptations. Among these being brightly colored (in the case of Deropeltis paulinoi nymphs, almost glowing) and gregarious so as to make a gigantic, writhing blob, stridulation and complex courtship behaviors (Rhyparobia sp. court each other by squeaking and thumping their abdomens) and mimicry (Therea sp. mimic tiger beetles, Diploptera punctata mimics a small, brown beetle, Schultesia lampyridiformis mimics fireflies). Not to say that this new species isn't cool (I personally find all roaches beautiful and fascinating), but if I wanted to see a roach jump, I would handle an adult Periplaneta australasiae.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Never seen the tiger beetle mimics! Any photos anywhere? Haven't seen roaches being that gregarious either!

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's a pic (not my pic) of the domino tiger beetle, which can squirt an irritating fluid at attackers:

Here's Therea petiveriana, the domino roach, which mimics it:

Here's a pic of two clusters of Deropeltis sp. "Jinka", which is a larger, darker Deropeltis species.

Last edited: