Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Leaproach- new species of roach found in cape town, africa. DREAM FEEDER?!

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by codykrr, Dec 9, 2011.

1. codykrr

codykrr Arachnoking Old Timer

2. lokalyokal

lokalyokal Arachnopeon

Wheres the beef!!!!!!!!!!

3. Deroplatys

Deroplatys Arachnodemon Old Timer

UK
    Also known as cockhoppers :laugh:

4. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

hee hee.................true that!!!

5. bugmankeith

bugmankeith Arachnoking Old Timer

Now I can see how cockroaches are related to grasshoppers!

6. billopelma

billopelma Arachnolord Old Timer

I seem to recall reading that they're pretty small, like 1/4" or 3/8"...

Bill

7. Malhavoc's

Malhavoc's Arachnoking Old Timer

1/3" according to the article, still pretty good for slings.

8. crawltech

crawltech Arachnoprince

9. Scythemantis

Scythemantis Arachnobaron Old Timer

Feeders!? Hell no, dream PETS. A brand new species with a unique adaptation deserves better than for hobbyists to immediately think "ooh, food for my completely conventional inverts!"

10. Dark

Dark Arachnobaron Old Timer

Indeed I second Scythemantis's comment, definitely absolutely evolutionarily amazing. The adaptation of roaches and their related cousins are absolutely amazing. Hell once we're all gone they'll be working their way up the ladder.

Eric

11. A very inspiring response, but I think this species in particular has been overhyped. There are plenty of roach species in culture with much more interesting adaptations. Among these being brightly colored (in the case of Deropeltis paulinoi nymphs, almost glowing) and gregarious so as to make a gigantic, writhing blob, stridulation and complex courtship behaviors (Rhyparobia sp. court each other by squeaking and thumping their abdomens) and mimicry (Therea sp. mimic tiger beetles, Diploptera punctata mimics a small, brown beetle, Schultesia lampyridiformis mimics fireflies). Not to say that this new species isn't cool (I personally find all roaches beautiful and fascinating), but if I wanted to see a roach jump, I would handle an adult Periplaneta australasiae.

12. Scythemantis

Scythemantis Arachnobaron Old Timer

Never seen the tiger beetle mimics! Any photos anywhere? Haven't seen roaches being that gregarious either!

13. Here's a pic (not my pic) of the domino tiger beetle, which can squirt an irritating fluid at attackers:
    [​IMG]
    Here's Therea petiveriana, the domino roach, which mimics it:
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of two clusters of Deropeltis sp. "Jinka", which is a larger, darker Deropeltis species.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.