leaking abdomen :(

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Ok so my female Pamphobeteus antinous molted about 4 weeks ago. She is hardened up and eating fine. She is an extreme hair kicker and tonight I was messing in her cage. She started kicking hairs like normal but then all of a sudden the top of her abdomen started leaking. There was no bumps or cysts or anything of that nature. She was literally scratching hairs off and all of sudden a droplet came out.

I have tried researching etc but haven't found what im looking for.

She had no prior injuries that im aware of. Its like she spontaneously started leaking! Now I know most people would say to treat this but Im not sure if I should intervene. Im not disturbing her so she won't attempt to irritate it more by flicking hairs. Its been about 5 hours and it just appears as a wet droplet. Its not gushing out or anything like that or I would have had to stop it.

How often does something like this occur? Advice is welcome. In the meantime I will be monitoring to make sure it remains the same.

Kevin

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You sure it's from her?
Where exactly did it form?
Do you see a wound where the droplet is?
What color is the droplet; is it clear?
Do you know if she was grooming when you disturbed her?
Can you take a (good) picture?

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Yes its from her....As she would kick more fluid came out. Its clear and its coming from the top middle of the abdomen, maybe just past that. Its right in the bald patch from her scratching. She was not grooming when she was disturbed.

Today the droplet isn't there but its still wet and shiny with U hairs stuck in it. At least its not dripping etc.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yes its from her....As she would kick more fluid came out. Its clear and its coming from the top middle of the abdomen, maybe just past that. Its right in the bald patch from her scratching. She was not grooming when she was disturbed.

Today the droplet isn't there but its still wet and shiny with U hairs stuck in it. At least its not dripping etc.
Oh. Well I've never heard of that before. I was thinking maybe it's feet were wet and it somehow splashed some liquid onto her abdomen while kicking. When my Pampho grooms, her legs look soaking wet while she does it. But from the sounds of it I guess not.

If it were me, I'd feed sparingly as to not put too much pressure on the abdomen, and hopefully it'll molt out the issue. If it still leaks I'd maybe look into dabbing it with new skin or something.

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies! All day today the area was up dried. I had to move her cage unfortunately and she got spooked. I didn't see her kick at all but her butt was raised. Now she has started leaking yet again. Not nearly as big of a drop but its there. Not dripping or anything like that.

I have a feeling im really going to have to baby her until she molts. trying to do cage maintenance and feeding will be tedious. I will just have to disturb her as little as possible.

Still such an odd occurence......

Kevin

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Kev, I would definitely look at the idea of dabbing Liquid Skin on it if it has been leaking again. If I remember from the pic you sent me, she did have a pretty big booty and that would definitely cause her internal pressure to go up and make it leak again.

Does Haemolyph (I don't have time to look up the proper spelling) have any clotting abilities like human blood?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does Haemolyph (I don't have time to look up the proper spelling) have any clotting abilities like human blood?
I don't think it does. Everything I read (that I remember) said it didn't. That's why you have to apply something so it will clot it. Don't take my word for it though, that's what I "think" I remember ;)

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
According to this article, proteins acting as clotting factors are found in D. melanogaster haemolymph.

However, I am not sure of the haemolymph composition of "primitive" spiders and how it may differ from the haemolympg of a fly (or any other insects, for that matter). That said, my observation has been that that a T's "leaking" will often stop on its own, and I assume it is at least in part due to a clotting mechanism.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think it does. Everything I read (that I remember) said it didn't. That's why you have to apply something so it will clot it. Don't take my word for it though, that's what I "think" I remember ;)
Chris! Where is your documented proof of what you THINK! Hahh! Just razzin ya my friend! :D

According to this article, proteins acting as clotting factors are found in D. melanogaster haemolymph.

However, I am not sure of the haemolymph composition of "primitive" spiders and how it may differ from the haemolympg of a fly (or any other insects, for that matter). That said, my observation has been that that a T's "leaking" will often stop on its own, and I assume it is at least in part due to a clotting mechanism.
Roski, I tend to agree with the clotting mechanism too. I have a B.smithi that somehow split the exterior of his right #4 leg right at the joint and it was leaking every time he used it. I left him alone to either deal with it or cast it off and it looks kind of scabbed over and the leg still seems 'semi functional'. I'm sure he will spring a nice ole leak when I try to pair him up with my girl again.

Nhanduchromatus

Arachnopeon
Spines on leg IV punctured abdomen?

Perhaps a very small pinhole in the abdomen from a puncture via the spines on the medial aspect of tarsus IV. I've seen small brown abdominal scars resulting from scrapes of these spines during vigorous hair kicking. I think a very careful application of liquid skin should do the trick. Very careful!

Josh1211

Arachnopeon
You sure it's from her?
Where exactly did it form?
Do you see a wound where the droplet is?
What color is the droplet; is it clear?
Do you know if she was grooming when you disturbed her?
Can you take a (good) picture?
I wanted to ask you guys a question related to this leaking, I noticed today there was a clear but shiny liquid when I put a light to it on the bottom of the abdomen of my t. Strimi anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Sana

Arachnoprince
Good on you for doing a little research before asking your question! A picture would be super helpful in this case. Also, what has your tarantula been doing recently? Grooming, eating, playing in the water dish? When was it's last molt?

Josh1211

Arachnopeon
Good on you for doing a little research before asking your question! A picture would be super helpful in this case. Also, what has your tarantula been doing recently? Grooming, eating, playing in the water dish? When was it's last molt?
Well I got her about a month ago. She's a sub adult. I haven't seen her go into her water dish at all recently but she's just been eating regularly I figure she grooms herself quite often and have not had her molt in my Possesion. I just saw it today it's just like little droplets of clear liquid just on the bottom of her abdomen. There's no wound there either. And I haven't seen her on top of the cage before. She comes out and sits right under the feeding door every night at 8 and that's when I feed her

Sana

Arachnoprince
My first inclination is to say that the droplets are from her grooming while you aren't looking or water. What are you using for substrate and how moist is it?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
As for hemolyph, in my experience, im not so much sure it will clot as simply dry out. This is why we have tricks like using superglue (nu-skin).

Legs etc have valvs that the T can essentially turn off.
IMO what happens is the T shuts off that particular valve. Once the flow stops, the hemolyph will evaporate leaving "stuff" behind (just like water will do) and thats what we see as a "scab".

This is only my opinion but i think it dries more then clots. Clotting is something activly happening and im not sold that thats what T's do

Inspector Aberline

Arachnopeon
As for hemolyph, in my experience, im not so much sure it will clot as simply dry out. This is why we have tricks like using superglue (nu-skin).

Legs etc have valvs that the T can essentially turn off.
IMO what happens is the T shuts off that particular valve. Once the flow stops, the hemolyph will evaporate leaving "stuff" behind (just like water will do) and thats what we see as a "scab".

This is only my opinion but i think it dries more then clots. Clotting is something activly happening and im not sold that thats what T's do
My stirmi, subadult, male, relatively newly acquired, likes to wander. Goes through periods where he likes to climb the walls and the top of the enclosure, which is screen unfortunately. I noticed recently that on one of his wanderings he was left with a rather bald patch of abdomen — no hairs or other covering whatsoever. Just a almost white-colored patch. Moist. Not dripping but just slightly moist. Can anyone advise? Is this something to be concerned about? Again no tears, My stormy, subadult, male, relatively newly acquired, likes to wander. Go through periods where he likes to climb the walls and the top of the enclosure, which is screen unfortunately. I noticed recently that on one of his wanderings he was left with a rather bald patch of abdomen, which appeared damp. Not dripping but just slightly moist. Can anyone advise? Many thanks for your thoughts. (Yes, will swap out screen top and no, I don’t have any pics.)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My stirmi, subadult, male, relatively newly acquired, likes to wander. Goes through periods where he likes to climb the walls and the top of the enclosure, which is screen unfortunately. I noticed recently that on one of his wanderings he was left with a rather bald patch of abdomen — no hairs or other covering whatsoever. Just a almost white-colored patch. Moist. Not dripping but just slightly moist. Can anyone advise? Is this something to be concerned about? Again no tears, My stormy, subadult, male, relatively newly acquired, likes to wander. Go through periods where he likes to climb the walls and the top of the enclosure, which is screen unfortunately. I noticed recently that on one of his wanderings he was left with a rather bald patch of abdomen, which appeared damp. Not dripping but just slightly moist. Can anyone advise? Many thanks for your thoughts. (Yes, will swap out screen top and no, I don’t have any pics.)
Nobody is going to be able to help you without a photo. Can you not borrow someone's phone, even?