leaapord gecko prices

Blue spider boy

Arachnopeon
can someone pls explain to me why leopard gecko morphs are soooo dang expensive like seriously and even typical leopard geckos cost soo much like 300$ for one come on

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I suspect it's related to where you live. They are quite cheap, relatively speaking, here in North America

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
can someone pls explain to me why leopard gecko morphs are soooo dang expensive like seriously and even typical leopard geckos cost soo much like 300$ for one come on
Lol, I got mine a few months ago at Reptile Expo for $20 and was an albino adult (The guy had a pretty deal for us). I mean, you should be able to buy them for under $50. Where do you live because I'm agreeing with above

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just walk over to Pakistan- you will find far healtheir animals there then in the inbred genetic cesspool found in the USA

I would never buy a lep gex now in the US.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Because there are all of the different morphs that everyone wants to breed and get as pets. Adult black night leos can go well over 2k, the first lemon frost sold at auction went for almost 10k. So, that's why I bought my black nights as babies. As far as reptiles go they're pretty cheap, some snakes go for 10s of thousands of dollars.
I would never buy a lep gex now in the US.
Why is that?

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
They are super expensive for the same reason other snakes are so expensive. When they are first bred, they are super cheap because nobody knows about or wants them. Then they get morphs and are super expensive because they look cool because more people want them. Then they get cheaper because they are a basic reptile and are no longer wanted by more experienced people. A shop by my house has albinos and normals for super cheap. They also depend on where you are in the world for price. In Europe and America, the trade is so big that they are cheaper.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Because there are all of the different morphs that everyone wants to breed and get as pets. Adult black night leos can go well over 2k, the first lemon frost sold at auction went for almost 10k. So, that's why I bought my black nights as babies. As far as reptiles go they're pretty cheap, some snakes go for 10s of thousands of dollars.

Why is that?
Read my post. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Leopard geckos are cool, but morphs are ranged in whatever price the seller is willing to put them. I use to own a couple of leopard geckos but I had to sell them because of financial reasons. But I would to get another one in the future.

Why is that?
I did, I was just wondering if there were any other reasons.
If you don't know, there is no longer such a thing as a true "normal" leopard gecko morph in the hobby. The leopard gecko hobby inbred and produced so many morphs to the point where their is no longer the true original normal leopard gecko morph. Yes, the original base line genetic normal leopard gecko is/are no longer in the hobby. The normal leopard geckos that people see are not the original morph leopard gecko. Sadly, the breeding for new morphs severely muddled the pool and brought some serious health issues. Such as lemon frosts having tumors, I have yet to see one that doesn't have any tumors. There are some cool morphs, but I do miss the true original leopard gecko that is plain looking as well.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
If you don't know, there is no longer such a thing as a true "normal" leopard gecko morph in the hobby. The leopard gecko hobby inbred and produced so many morphs to the point where their is no longer the true original normal leopard gecko morph. Yes, the original base line genetic normal leopard gecko is/are no longer in the hobby. The normal leopard geckos that people see are not the original morph leopard gecko. Sadly, the breeding for new morphs severely muddled the pool and brought some serious health issues. Such as lemon frosts having tumors, I have yet to see one that doesn't have any tumors. There are some cool morphs, but I do miss the true original leopard gecko that is plain looking as well.
I have actually seen a few normals on a reptile forum. They aren't the high yellow or hypo or banded hypo but a very dark yellow base color with large black spots over the entire body. Like most reptiles some morphs have problems but for most of them it isn't life-harming. Lemon frost is one of the few that are. Most lemon frosts are fine when young but at about 3-5 years old they start to develop lots of tumors and are usually euthanized. However before this was discovered they went for extremely high prices.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I did, I was just wondering if there were any other reasons.
Nope, the US market and other markets are a cesspool of inbreeding. Animals are smaller, behavior is sickly in some cases, animals’ overall health quality isn’t what it used to be.

I tend to agree, when I owned mine, morphs did not exist. Mine were CBB things were fine. Now it’s a mess.

If you read articles about this from some owners/breeders you will find their observations.

In fact some serious breeders or owners will only take in wild caught lep gex because genetically/health wise - they are superior.

Skullion

Arachnopeon
There are breeders who sell for cheaper. You just have to do a lot of looking. I got my tremper orange gecko for $80.