Lazy Chilobrachys spiderling

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
I keep a 1cm Chilobrachys fimbriatus spiderling in a 10cm high, 7cm wide glass jar which is 3/4 full with substrate and has vent holes in the lid. I've had it for about 3 weeks and I've only seen it once. It spends all of its time in a burrow which I made for it by poking a pen into the substrate. I know this is normal for this species, but I am dissapointed because from what I've heard they can make intricate networks of tunnels and are supposed to be heavy webbers. So far the spiderling has neither expanded on the burrow which I started, nor made much webbing other than a bit of very thin webbing just around the burrow entrance. Poor effort! Any suggestions? Cheers

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
give her a lil time she is getting used to her home. She must feel comfortable in the one you made her. My G.pulchra sat in one spot for about a month then one day started webbing up walking around she uses her whole tank now .

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
what are your temps like? the cooler they are the more they are "lazy"
Now thats a good question. My room is a bit cold at the moment, as is the weather in the uk. I've been reading the T keepers guide and it says that tarantulas will suit any temperature at which you yourself feel comfortable and can even be allowed to get quite cold if necessary with little harm. However, maybe I could do with some heat pad or something?

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
use caution with heat pads. only put them on the sides of your enclosures. I perfer heat emitters {ceramic} with thermometers inside the tank to watch the temps. I keep my tanks at 72-75f. Ambient room temps that are a little low are ok , wont hurt them but makes then a little sluggish.

Last edited:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My room stays on the cool side & mine has webbed insanely. Just give yours some time to settle in :)

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
I just got mine, its about a 2" legspan. It was not doing too much on the skiff of dry coco-fibre it was on so I swapped that out for 3-4 inches of damp peat and within 24 hours it had dug down to the bottom as well as make aprox 6" of tunnel above ground in a silk plant.

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
I just got mine, its about a 2" legspan. It was not doing too much on the skiff of dry coco-fibre it was on so I swapped that out for 3-4 inches of damp peat and within 24 hours it had dug down to the bottom as well as make aprox 6" of tunnel above ground in a silk plant.
ina silk plant? how do you mean? sounds good

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
ina silk plant? how do you mean? sounds good

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Its just a small ivy looking fake plant that lays horizontal that I stuck in, it wrapped up all the leaves as part of its tunnel.