Laws on true spiders?

Eli02

Arachnopeon
I have recently got into keeping widows, currently I only own two female western black widows and three false widows. I was wondering what the laws are on non native spiders, such as the Mediterranean widow, in the US (to be more specific, Oregon). I really love the look of the different kinds of widows around the world nd would love to keep some, but I can't seem to find anything on the laws about keeping them. If they are legal in the US does anyone know any good sellers that sell Latrodectus species?

Thanks all!

ERIC cotter

Arachnopeon
Well I don't know about this particular species but usually the issue isn't legality of ownership, it's shipping live animals internationally that makes things tricky, usually both parties, buyer and seller, need the right permits/licensing to do so, otherwise the package can get flagged by customs. I've personally never heard of a Mediterranean widow being a potentially invasive species so that will likely be your only hurdle (aside from finding a buyer). I'd definitely keep an eye out for anyone selling red widows, though, they're native to small sections of Florida and due to their gradually shrinking habitats might be on their way out, but they are gorgeous and come up for sale every so often, I bought one from Kenthebugguy a little over a year ago, I think.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Just look or post in the Classifieds here. I saw a Lactrodectus post about a week ago.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
How do you keep red widows from Florida? Do you need to get them Pinus clausa branches so they can lay eggs? This is a species I'm interested in as well. @ERIC cotter

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In general (so I wouldn't venture into single states nor specific area laws I don't/can't know) you can keep those in the U.S.

User @Philth if I'm not wrong posted pics, time ago, of Latrodectus tredecimguttatus, basically the "Mediterranean Widow", native of Italy and present in other Mediterranean nations as well.

Venom talking those needs to be (IMO) considered potentially lethal (we had fatalities here in Italy in late '80 due to bites in the wild of Liguria region) but still not powerful like the U.S one, L.mactans, are.

As said above, you can't 'brown boxing' (import those in USA without the legit papers/stuff needed).

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Red widows can be kept like any other widow, just make sure to give them more humidity as they are more sensitive

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Spiders are not regulated in the U.S. on any sort of federal level. That said, many local town ordinances may have their own set of rules that no one ever really looks into lol, and they are usually not enforced until there is a problem. For example, a neighbors kid gets bit by a non native species you are keeping, and they make a big deal about it. With a little responsibility in keeping them, which you have in the first place, Latrodectus shouldn't be a problem.

I do have some legally imported Latrodectus tredecimguttatus & Latrodectus menavodi available if anyone is looking for them.

Later, Tom

Last edited:

ERIC cotter

Arachnopeon
How do you keep red widows from Florida? Do you need to get them Pinus clausa branches so they can lay eggs? This is a species I'm interested in as well. @ERIC cotter
Not too tricky, captive bread spiders do fine with a fake plant or vine, maybe a small branch for easier webbing, in sand substrate and low humidity (40% or so) (they're made to withstand long droughts and too much misting can harm and kill it). Just be positive they aren't wild caught, they almost never last in captivity.