Latrodectus Story

mrglock27

Arachnopeon
Hi, My name is Mike, I live in Western WA. I've been to this site about 15 or 20 times over the past year but never posted before now. When I was a kid I used to catch alot of latro hesperus and scorpions in eastern WA, when my family would go over there on the weekends. When I was about 15 I caught a fat female and took her home to western WA in a mayonaise jar, my mom and dad were not happy. She laid about 5 egg sacs and when they started to hatch my parents made me put them outside. There were alot of babies, when I wasnt around my dad would spray raid on the top of the jar where the holes were without telling me. My dad told me later so I hid the jar outside under the eves and forgot about it. Well about 6 months later I found the jar and she was still alive! I couldn't freakin' believe it. Strong little biaches. Anyway, I used to sell them to kids for $5 each. they had never seen them before so they were excited. I'm inspired to collect again after seeing all the amazing latro pics on this site. I don't know if it's against the site rules to sell them or anything but I'd be interested in buying a female for a "pet". mrglock27@netscape.com

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
try the "For Sale" forum, it caters to all forms of inverts and even reptiles and other things sometimes...post a WTB ad if you don't see anyone offering what you want. It's not against the rules to sell or buy them on the forum either.

6 months is a long time to go without food...for a true spider anyway (some T's do it for over a year). I'm impressed :)

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Same viewpoint here, very impressive the true spider lasted 6 months and is still active..another incite into arachnids. :D

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good story. I found the part about your dad attempting to secretly poison the widow funny. :D

Six months is too long to go without food. H2O probably was available do to occasional condensation inside the jar, but she would have had to have fed at least every month or two. Her siblings probably provided that occasional meal. the slings would feed on each other until there were one or two juvs left and then mom took them out. Also, if there were decent size airholes in the jar, there may have been a few visitors looking to feed on whatever carcasses were in there. Earwigs, for example can get in/out of some very tight places. ;)

mrglock27

Arachnopeon
She was huge when I put her under the eves and she was VERY small when I found her, but still alive.

Rizzolo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tell 'em what your wife said about reliving your youth!

So, mrglock27, tell the story about what happened when i offered to send you some L hesperus. That had me laughing! I'm sorry!

I wouldn't blame your wife too much though because some people have a phobia of spiders and it is not something you can really overcome. If she is not truly phobic, then i would keep trying gently to convince her that they may not really eat your kids lol. OR, get a couple and put them under the eaves outside, like you did before, but feed them this time.

good luck!

mrglock27

Arachnopeon
Ok, so Rizzolo and kujordan offered to sell me some latros and I was all set to buy them and like an idiot I told my wife so she threw a total f'ing fit cause I got kids and she thought theyd get out and kill the whole family. Unfortunately I could not talk any sense into her. Even after I told her they would be in a locked room inside a jar with a lid then inside an aquarium with a lock on it. Should I divorce this biach? Just kiddin', I'll talk her azz into it someday.