Latrodectus sp. (Laos) success

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is my first successful breeding of this species. I think it's an interesting note to share that fewer than 6 days had gone by from the time I introduced the 2 males to sac production. I'll try to take some nicer images later this evening.

Best regards,
-Matt

Last edited:

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dude! you, brian, steven and i are kickin' ass here in the US!

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
awesome, good luck with the rest of the way. i like how Latros look..but haven't really given much thought towards keeping them. are their lives seasonal? or do the females, at least, live for some time?

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
unbred, a female can live up in extreme near 3 years...

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
unbred, a female can live up in extreme near 3 years...
cool, i still have a lot to learn about other spiders..up until fairly recently, i spent all my time just reading about tarantulas. so after laying a sac they get to see the slings hatch out then she passes on?

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe that in almost all cases in captivity females will lay 6+ sacs depending on the species. For example, L. geometricus and L. sp. (Laos) can produce 12 or more if well kept. Also, in my experience it's not uncommon for the females to live several more months after they've "dried up"; however, oftentimes they seem to produce sacs right up until their dying day. The cadences between sac production increases, the sacs typically become smaller, usually awkwardly shaped, and/or in some cases, infertile.

L. geometricus

Best regards,
-Matt

Last edited:

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had my temps very high this last week in hopes of inducing breeding (as I had been pairing species up quite a bit these past few days), between 85-90 F, so last night I turned off the heater and misted everyone's enclosures pretty heavily. I believe the temps came down to the low 70s, maybe upper 60s. When I awoke I found this girl with another sac, and one of my L. bishopi that I had been waiting on produced a sac as well. I don't have any text to support that the temperature and humidity flux was the right move, but right now I don't have much reason to doubt that it was stimulus they needed. In any case, here's the result.

Best regards,
-Matt

Last edited:

Rizzolo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice work

i think i will try your temperature flux trick with my bishopi. i am waiting and waiting. Those (laos?) egg sacs are unique - lumpy lsort of like geometricus, but whiter and larger. i can't wait to see pictures of the babies.

good luck!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im starting to get worried about my Laos mating attempts. No sacs of yet and my males are starting to drop like flies. I did try temp changes, feeding, misting, etc.. I hope I dont have to start over with this specie. Never thought it would be easy, but i figured if I mated 5 or 6 of these girls, something would come of it!? :?
I keep thinking that I maybe should have left the males in with the fems longer...just let nature take its course ...whatever result that may be.