"Latrodectus menavodi: Gettin' it on"

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I posted these in the Latro pic thread as well, but figured more would see it as its own topic. Anyway, I'm glad this was successful. As many of us Latro addicts know, many times males and females just aren't feelin' it. Breeding isn't as successful as many outsiders might think- many times you have to use multiple males to get one to actually pursue the girl. Anyway, this was my LAST male, so it could have been a really bad deal if he would not have been interested in the girl. Males of these spiders aren't exactly easy to come by...

Hopefully this will provide many more of this species for everyone...

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome, thanks for the info. Insight like this helps immensely. Not all widows species are instantimatics when it comes to breeding.

I still have two female L. menavodi on the way and have decided to breed them. And will post in classifieds for males when I am ready.

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I should be breeding this species soon :) .

RodG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful Spider!!!

Absolutely great photos Jordan:clap: Best of luck with them and please more photos:worship:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you catch my hybred attempt I posted in my sneak preview thread? If I get some slings out of it, maybe we can trade some kids! :cool: ;)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Did you catch my hybred attempt I posted in my sneak preview thread? If I get some slings out of it, maybe we can trade some kids! :cool: ;)
The results will be interesting. I'll pass on participating in such experiments. Pure bloodlines are sancrosanct to me personally. Just a pet peeve. But I do want to see the results and keep us posted.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steven- yeah I did catch that. What would you call it?...a Latrodectus variolaosus? I hope that works out, though I'm not sure it will.

I never posted pics or anything other than showing a few people, but I mated a menavodi male with a hesperus female a couple months ago. She made a sac, but it was all crazy shaped and looked more like a banana than a typical hesp sac. The egg mass was all strung through the middle of the sac- it was pretty weird. Nothing survived anyway. I was hoping to get a nice BIG menavodi. Maybe I'd have called it L. hespevodi...

Megalon- hopefully my menavodi is set and will have a sac soon. let me know if you'll need any males at that time.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Steven- yeah I did catch that. What would you call it?...a Latrodectus variolaosus? I hope that works out, though I'm not sure it will.

I never posted pics or anything other than showing a few people, but I mated a menavodi male with a hesperus female a couple months ago. She made a sac, but it was all crazy shaped and looked more like a banana than a typical hesp sac. The egg mass was all strung through the middle of the sac- it was pretty weird. Nothing survived anyway. I was hoping to get a nice BIG menavodi. Maybe I'd have called it L. hespevodi...

Megalon- hopefully my menavodi is set and will have a sac soon. let me know if you'll need any males at that time.
That's very interesting.

The weather has delayed the shipment of my menavodi pair but I am entirely sure I will have them this thursday no doubt.

Hopefully, your mating and the eggsac is proven fertile and successful. Best of luck.

I am ready as soon as the males from your clutch are ready. ;)

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOOHOO!! I GOT A PERFECT SAC THIS MORNING!!! I'll post pics later today.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOOHOO!! I GOT A PERFECT SAC THIS MORNING!!! I'll post pics later today.
Now thats what Im talkin about! :clap:
Shoot ...I still owe you some slings dont I!? ;) ...looks like I'll have to square up really soon! :D

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
AWESOME!

Eventually, hopefully with success, we can have regular trades and contribute a steady supply to the hobby. *fingers crossed*

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
anyone know how long the sac period is for these guys?...like a week?