Latrodectus mactans (Southern Black Widow) and Latrodectus geometricus (Brown Widow)

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My girl didn't do that?!?! I'm guessing the coloring has something to do with what size they grow to. Mine has a red stripe at this point. Before the molt it had orange, white and black circles.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
markings are so HIGHLY variable it's not even funny. i could go out and find 20 differently marked variolus (or others) in the same locale.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
New Pictures (L. mactan POST-molt)

Our female L. mactan has molted once again and I thought we would share some pictures along with more recent pictures of the L. geometricus.. Enjoy! :)

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am looking at all the beautiful pictures of the black widows, and thinking to myself - why am I so afraid of them? I have my tarantulas, I have an h.mac, they don't scare me. Yet living in Phoenix we have black widows around all the time and if I see one I freak out. Can't figure it out. It is a spider, after all. I love wolf spiders.....what is it about a black widow......I wish I could get over this fear of them. Off topic, but I wanted to say I loved the pictures and the different colorings.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I am looking at all the beautiful pictures of the black widows, and thinking to myself - why am I so afraid of them? I have my tarantulas, I have an h.mac, they don't scare me. Yet living in Phoenix we have black widows around all the time and if I see one I freak out. Can't figure it out. It is a spider, after all. I love wolf spiders.....what is it about a black widow......I wish I could get over this fear of them. Off topic, but I wanted to say I loved the pictures and the different colorings.
I know what you mean. I love all other spiders, except black widows. They scare the living you know what out of me! Seeing them through this thread gives a total different respect for them though. I would love to keep one and observe it but I just can't see myself catching one! Too afraid. lol