Latrodectus hesperus Egg Sacks

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So I have a few sacs from my L. hesperus females that I have in jars. A couple have turned more yellowish. The other two have not (yet anyway). It's been a month for the two yellowish ones with no hatching. I hope they haven't dried out.

I have them on a thin layer of Coco fiber and a small bottle cap of Water for a bit of ambient humidity.

Has anyone had sacs take a month or longer to hatch?

The temp drops to 68F at night. Maybe they're too cold.

Thoughts from others that have hatched widow egg sacs?

Thanks

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The lighter colored ones were laid in thr last couple of days. The more yellow ones are a month old.
20201230_211847.jpg 20201230_211851.jpg 20201230_211901.jpg

NYAN

Arachnoking
They should be hatching or at least have darkened by now. They could have gone bad

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They should be hatching or at least have darkened by now. They could have gone bad
They darkened a bit, you can see compared to the newer ones in there.
But so far nothing.

Are there any tricks that I might have missed? Honestly the only thing I can think of is maybe it's a tad too cold but they keep laying even tho it hits 68 at night

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well my adult females continue to create egg sacs but none have hatched. I am misting the deli cups to maintain some humidity to prevent drying out but there has been no sign of hatching on any of them.

They're either too cold or something else is wrong. I'll keep them for now but it's not looking too good.

NYAN

Arachnoking
You don’t need to do anything to care for the sacs. Keep in mind this species lives in places that get little to no rain and where the temperature can range from 30s to over 100 degrees.

If the sacs have darkened, you can open them. If they went bad, just leave the sacs completely alone until they darken and then pull them from the enclosure.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Why do you remove them from the mothers? Don't they groom the sacks to keep anything off them and make sure they are okay?

Vagi Nalia

Arachnopeon
I also have a L. hesperus sac that turn dark in color and it's 27 days old. Can they get out of the sac on their own or do i have to open it. Their mother is gone btw