Latrodectus Broken Leg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I got a female L. hesperus. Unfortunately she has a broken front leg thats twisted upwards in the wrong direction. She arrived that way from the vendor.

I don't suppose anyone has exhibited limb regeneration in these? 20201028_192345.jpg 20201028_192348.jpg 20201028_192508.jpg

NYAN

Arachnoking
She’s probably mature, so no limb regeneration. Also it appears to be either very malnourished or at the very end of its life.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
That thing looks rough. Sorry they sent you that :/

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That's not right, was it packaged properly ?
It appeared to be yes. Wrapped in paper towel , within a deli cup, and surrounded by tons of newspaper and a heat pack for warmth.

Last edited:

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
It appeared to be yes. Wrapped in paper towel , within a deli cup, and surrounded by tons of newspaper and a heat pack for warmth.
So basically the leg was damaged prior to shipping... either during packaging or it was already damaged and they just hoped you wouldn't notice, either way it's not good. Have you reached out to them ?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Also it appears to be either very malnourished or at the very end of its life.
Or both. I didn't read the text initially and coming back to this thread I did a double take. Hesperus?? That's the gnarliest at-deaths-door specimen I've ever seen. Somebody sold you trash. The carapace doesn't get that way overnight or a few days shipping trip. We're talking long term emaciation.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So basically the leg was damaged prior to shipping... either during packaging or it was already damaged and they just hoped you wouldn't notice, either way it's not good. Have you reached out to them ?
Yes.

No reply.

I can't feed her without a web.

I set her up as best I can. Hopefully whatever time she has left will be more peaceful than what she apparently has already endured. 20201029_203734.jpg 20201029_203745.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Really sorry to hear this... is she able to produce web ? maybe try pre-kill
So far no webbing. She barely moves. I spritzed a little water but honestly she hasn't moved from the fake plant since she got there. Obviously they aren't the most active animals but they should move more than this, especially since without a web a healthy specimen is eager to get one started.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I read something long ago about an optics company that grew widows to harvest the webs. They put up filaments of some sort to control where the animals made the webs. I'm wondering if you could do something similar to induce her to make a web. ??

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Just a thought: It happens sometimes that cobweb spiders chase prey that get in their (bad) field of vision, so you could drop a fly into the enclosure and wait and see.

I had false widows that did that. A fly touched a strand of silk and the spider noticed that and ran down, but the fly continued walking so the spider left the web to chase the fly. The fly got away, though, because the spider couldn't see it when it got more than about two inches away.

I wish her and you the best of luck. <3

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
So far no webbing. She barely moves. I spritzed a little water but honestly she hasn't moved from the fake plant since she got there. Obviously they aren't the most active animals but they should move more than this, especially since without a web a healthy specimen is eager to get one started.
You are absolutely correct, they are not the most active animals but a healthy specimen would be eager to start a web. I have quite a few different types of Latrodectus and sometimes when I toss in some almost pre-killed feeders to the juveniles, they will take to it because the feeder is still moving enough to catch the attention but not enough to struggle. I really hope she pulls through...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Just a thought: It happens sometimes that cobweb spiders chase prey that get in their (bad) field of vision, so you could drop a fly into the enclosure and wait and see.

I had false widows that did that. A fly touched a strand of silk and the spider noticed that and ran down, but the fly continued walking so the spider left the web to chase the fly. The fly got away, though, because the spider couldn't see it when it got more than about two inches away.

I wish her and you the best of luck. <3
Because of the supply chain disruptions no flies available and its cold and snowing here so all the flying things are gone.

She honestly can barely walk. Its actually painful to see her try.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I read something long ago about an optics company that grew widows to harvest the webs. They put up filaments of some sort to control where the animals made the webs. I'm wondering if you could do something similar to induce her to make a web. ??
She has anchor points. She isn't healthy enough to actually spin from what I can tell.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Because of the supply chain disruptions no flies available and its cold and snowing here so all the flying things are gone.

She honestly can barely walk. Its actually painful to see her try.
How about maggots for fishing? Or mealworms?

Poor little spoop. :sad: I guess it would have been a little easier to care for her if she had less potent venom.

Edit: I wonder if she is trying to preserve her energy by not doing much. She needs proteins to create silk. I think the only way to save her is food. As others have said, she might be old and at the end of her life, but even if she is not too old she would die without food.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Poor little spoop. :sad: I guess it would have been a little easier to care for her if she had less potent venom.
Not much could really be done honestly.
I am not convinced the venom is as potent as the fear mongers claim.
While it is true it has caused deaths in the past, it hasnt been for some time that I am aware of. At least not confirmed. They really are very uninclined to bite unless you deliberately corner them or pinch grab them.

Its really a shame.

I am hoping to find another one from a different seller.

This one I will just keep as is and try to leave it be for whatever time is left.
20201029_221329.jpg 20201029_221342.jpg

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Edit: I wonder if she is trying to preserve her energy by not doing much. She needs proteins to create silk. I think the only way to save her is food. As others have said, she might be old and at the end of her life, but even if she is not too old she would die without food.
Understandable but without a web not much hope. Dangling a small half dead cricket against her didn't do anything other than make her flinch a little.