Latest C.exilicauda fun

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Woke up today, to sky's polution gray, this godless urban sprawl ... sorry, have a song stuck in my head.

Anyhow, I woke up today to find a female C.exilicauda munching down on a bunch of dead young. There was a bit of movement, so I scared her off, scooped up the lot and checked it over. I have one live baby who I think I managed to unstick from the last bit of his first shed. That makes him second instar. Some of the others also look like they might have died in their first moult. Some are obviously still first instar. Anyhow, with the one exception they are all dead.

The interesting thing about all of this is that I had not seen a mother with babies on her back at all recently, and I did a big cage cleaning the other day. There are, however, areas that I can not necessarily see at all -- under the slate on both sides etc. etc. So things are definitely happening there.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I know, here goes another lame death theory...but possible humidity problem again? After all, the babies are the most sensative to it.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I am going to say either humidity or genetic defect or a combonation of the two (defect leading to greatest sensitivity). I have let the humidity drop in the enclosure as I didn't realize I had young'uns. Anyhow, the young'uns I had removed from the enclosure last time are still dong well, so it is not a complete loss.

Cheers,
Dave