Lateralis egg cases - how to tell which one has hatched?

gothra

Arachnopeon
I picked out 6 egg cases to hatch in a separate container, and 2 of those hatched over the past few days. I wanted to throw out the empty egg cases that hatched, but all 6 of them still look the same! I don't see any openings or holes in any of them?! Is it ok to leave the empty egg cases on the moist substate with the good eggs? Will they start molding?

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I picked out 6 egg cases to hatch in a separate container, and 2 of those hatched over the past few days. I wanted to throw out the empty egg cases that hatched, but all 6 of them still look the same! I don't see any openings or holes in any of them?! Is it ok to leave the empty egg cases on the moist substate with the good eggs? Will they start molding?
they will all start molding if they are kept to wet, BUT the best way to tell if they have hatched or not is by ever so gently squeezing them. the firm ones with some give are still good, the ones that feel hollow are empty. hope this helps.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Make sure when you squeezing your are squeezing inward from the two long ends of the ooth; otherwise if it's a fertile one it will pop. Not good. :/

gothra

Arachnopeon
Just wondering if its necessary to throw out the empty egg cases? Will it be alright if I leave them in the incubation cup? My colony is just starting to show signs of life, and those are the first few good egg cases that I'm getting...I'm a bit reluctant to squeeze them in case they pop...

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mist the sides of the small critter keeper used for ooths, toss it around a bit,
and the ones that stay stuck on the sides are the empty ones!
(Hey it works for me)

Last edited:

brothaT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really don't think it's necessary to throw away the empty egg cases, I haven't found they have a problem with mold at all. I'm like you in that I incubate the ootheca separately and I leave all the empty ones in until they've all hatched and then throw them all away at once. I even have them stacked about an inch deep and still don't have a molding problem.

gothra

Arachnopeon
Its seems so weird that the egg cases looked all the same. After 15-20 babies hatched from that tiny thing, I thought there should have at least a small openning gap left behind...but I don't even find a dent there!

p.s. I had the first 2 egg cases last month, I put them in a small transparent deli cup and put it next to my computer. Weeks past and nothing happened; I thought they were no good and was going to throw them out; but I was just lazy and kept forgetting. Then a few days ago, I suddenly noticed a bunch tiny brown things in there!! That was so awesome! I now have high hopes that my lateralis colony will flourish. :)

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Since they are empty and lighter than fresh ones, you can practically blow them out with a fan, canned air, you, etc., of the cage. Personally I never bother with it.

Y-man

Arachnosquire
If you are only dealing with 6 egg cases, you can just pick them up about an inch and drop them. If they thud, they have not hatched. If they make a soft crispy sound they have hatched.

I can usually tell when they have hatched as I only take out about 30 or so for my baby scorpions. I can usually tell if they are full by feel with my tweezers, but occasionally I still pick up empty ones without them crushing on me. When I drop them in the separate container, it is easy to tell if they are empty or not by the sound when they hit the bottom.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do these egg cases look like small dark brown pieces of rice? I have a bunch of those in my roach container. Are those egg cases?