Last time CM, I swear

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey,
I'm still thinking of trying a setup similar to code monkey's for my terrestrial s'ling (again, see terrestrial setups posted by bjorgly). I ditched the aida cloth (i thought that was a sure thing) and now i'm looking at metal screen. the type you see in a screen door, or something like that. Is that suitable to use? can it endanger the T in any way? it's the most cost effecient method i can find because my friend just tore the screen out of his window :)
Thanks,
The Rookie

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
hi rookie:
you should be carefule with things the T can actually climb on, because in general if they can they will. i had one in a tank with a sliding screen top, like you see for herps, and often found it hanging upside down with it's toes hooked through the screen.
as a personal preference i keep mine mainly in pet pals. a friend of mine gets plexiglass cut to fit the top of fish tanks and shallower glass enclosures. he likes to cut his own airholes to help keep specific humidity levels.
of course, i keep a bunch of smaller t's in mason jars, so it's whatever works.

if you have a screen top on a larger tank, with walls the t can't climb, you should be okay. be sure that it won't climb!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Screen is fine, better than the aida cloth. Take a look at this thread: http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=773

Tony has posted sling vials using microscreen, very professional looking :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the climbing because slings in vial don't often put the effort into climbing that high (my tiger rump being the exception). The plastic mesh would be better because the plastic would be too thick to allow the claws to get stuck but I doubt with a small sling it will be an issue (since their claws are probably too small to completely hook around the wire mesh).

Last edited:

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
jeesh, i am now poster boy for reading carefully. i totally missed the part where rookie said "terrestrial 'SLING" and assumed eh was talking about an adult T. sheesh.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Problem with screen is that you have to make sure that you get the welded type. If it's not welded, I have heard of the t's getting their claws stuck in the minscule spaces between the threads of the screen.

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A great screening product is "pet resistant" screening available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. This stuff is made from nylon and is coated with (I think) PVC plastic. The coating bonds the weave together, preventing the stuck feet of aluminum screen. It's made specifically for the lower half of screen doors to resist dog scratching. This is NOT the same as the soft, fiberglass sceening (that crickets can chew through). This stuff has thus far proven virtually idestructable, at least at my house.

Wade