Lasiodora parahybana

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As spiderling's they will burrow, I have 3 parahybana's 2 large ones and a small sling, they are very easy to keep, dry substrate and a hide and a water dish as adults...they are great eaters and don't hide or burrow as adults...great spiders IMO...

Regards, Mike
With that being said, do you mist or just provide those elements as you listed, I also believe that most of the higher humid terrestrials would be fine with just dry substrate, water dish always filled and a hide and ofcourse the substrate having good height to minimize chances of falls. If i had an arboreal i would hold the priority on humidity much more especially for avics

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
it just seems like getting this mat was a waste of time really
Well, unless your house stays below 65F, it *is* a waste of time. ;)

Also, forget that stupid humidity percentage crap. Just keep a full dish and wet the soil every so often--don't keep it wet ALL the time or you'll get a nasty mold outbreak, let it dry out in between. My juvie parahybana likes to sit in the moist dirt even when it has a dish (it likes to bury it, stupid thing), so I figure it's a good plan.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With that being said, do you mist or just provide those elements as you listed, I also believe that most of the higher humid terrestrials would be fine with just dry substrate, water dish always filled and a hide and ofcourse the substrate having good height to minimize chances of falls. If i had an arboreal i would hold the priority on humidity much more especially for avics

I dont mist any of my spiders tanks, if I want extra moisture I may pour a little water in each corner of the tank from time to time...

Regards, Mike

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont mist any of my spiders tanks, if I want extra moisture I may pour a little water in each corner of the tank from time to time...

Regards, Mike
I hear you, and I agree with MS as well, that humidity percentage business is all crap in my book especially when it comes to terrestrials. I'll make sure any of my future additions whether dry or require the "high humidity" percentage bs gets the usual hide, water dish and good amount of substrate. :)

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow this mat is working now...its took my tank upto 80 :D

before i do it....because the glass where the mat is gets quite hot....am i safe if when i pour water on the substrate some goes on the glass or will it crack?

should i turn it off for a bit before i do that lol

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I highly doubt one could reach 6" in one year.
I think it's close to possible...mine hit 6" within a year and a half or so, now if you decide to power feed it and keep the temperature good and warm to help induce more molts in a shorter period of time...I wouldn't doubt it :)

what do i like about it? everything

dislike? nothing really.

never hid once it hit about 2", eat like pigs, grow fast, beautiful just after a molt (the pink hairs you have to see in person), can have plenty of attitude...only thing some may dislike is their propensity to flick hairs but mine rarely does that.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what size have you guys/girls got your L. parahybana to?

the main reason i wanted a blondi is their size so it would be good to know what size i could potentially hit if i got a LP?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't think you run the risk of cracking the glass...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow this mat is working now...its took my tank upto 80 :D

before i do it....because the glass where the mat is gets quite hot....am i safe if when i pour water on the substrate some goes on the glass or will it crack?

should i turn it off for a bit before i do that lol
I don't think you run the risk of cracking the glass...

i agree with the good Dr.

glass cracks from rather quick rather dramatic shifts in temp. i'm talking something like > 100*F in less than a second or so. you should never have the necesary dynamics for cracking aquarium glass in a living container.

you might be able to generate a glass crack in very thin glass with lots of bubbles in it if you heated it to 130*F and pressed an icecube to it, but that's still questionable.

i would watch out more for heating bulbs getting water on them. i remember when i was a kid my brothers and i broke a number of regular incandescant bulbs in a day when we accidentily discovered spitting on them breaks them... then had to test and prove the theory.... much to our mother's consternation

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought 4 little slings about 1/4" 14 months ago. Two of them are about 2 inches, 1 is 3 to 4 inches and one of them is 5 inches. I have no idea why the growth rate is so varied. I don't heat them, my room is between 64 F at night to 74 F daytime. They have all varied in the amount of food they will take. The big one was always the best eater. It easily has 4 times more mass than the smallest one. All are kept the same way. Go figure. The little ones will get there eventually I suppose.

I'm not so sure heating them won't shorten their life span for a quick gain in size.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They have all varied in the amount of food they will take. The big one was always the best eater.
There's your answer right there--their molting rate, which means both growth and the "aging" process, is dependent upon how long it takes them to reach critical butt mass. {D Once they have enough energy stored up, they begin the premolt process. So a tarantula that eats more grows faster. (That one might also be a male, but I wouldn't use growth/eating as the sole identifier.)

There's a thread on here somewhere where somebody lost a parahybana sling for...two years? Four? Something crazy like that. They finally found it in their bathroom, and it hadn't really grown at all due to the lean diet available in the wilderness of their house. But once it got regular meals again, it picked right up where it left off. :)

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, the growth rate you are describing for the smaller ones is similar to what I experienced with mine. Everyone said that L. parahybana would grow to 5-6" in a year, so much so that for a while I wasn't sure that I actually had what I thought I had. Mine has grown from about 1/4" in September 2005 to about 2 1/2" now. I keep temps on the low side (high 60s to low 70s) as I don't use any artificial heat and feed about once a week (usually one of whatever size cricket is appropriate for its size at the time).

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got mine 6 months ago at 3 inches, and its now 6 inches and bulky, after one molt. I feed it 3 crickets every other week. The only time I have interacted with it was during tank maintenance a while back, I tried to push it out of the way with forceps, it reared up and said, "make my day". It spends a fair amount of time in its hide, but is also out quite a bit. Its a girl.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
An update on my 4 parahybanas. As I stated earlier in the thread, I got mine as yellow nymphs back in july 2006. That means they were 2mm LS or about that. Now, since winter has passed, they've grown richly in size and the largest one is aaaalmost 10cm (4") in legspan. That means that if they molt once more before or in july they've grown abou the magic 5" atleast in one year. That's T magic right there {D

A sad sidenote however, is that I've spotted no signs in their exuvia of any of them being female. But we'll see.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I got mine 6 months ago at 3 inches, and its now 6 inches and bulky, after one molt. I feed it 3 crickets every other week. The only time I have interacted with it was during tank maintenance a while back, I tried to push it out of the way with forceps, it reared up and said, "make my day". It spends a fair amount of time in its hide, but is also out quite a bit. Its a girl.
did you just say it grew 3" in one molt? I find that quite hard to believe. Perhaps you measured it two different ways? And yeah, get used to the threat displays ;)

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got mine at 3/4 in November 2005. On December 2 2006 it molted to 6 inches.
But the two previous molts were more spectacular.

Crunch spent most of his spiderlinghood along my heater coils or atop my watertank, and he ate a pond worth of frogs!!!

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got mine at 3/4 in November 2005. On December 2 2006 it molted to 6 inches.
But the two previous molts were more spectacular.

Crunch spent most of his spiderlinghood along my heater coils or atop my watertank, and he ate a pond worth of frogs!!!
Hahaha...That's awesome {D

Also, threat displays? I haven't seen any yet from any of my four, kicking hairs is another story though...

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, the growth rate you are describing for the smaller ones is similar to what I experienced with mine. Everyone said that L. parahybana would grow to 5-6" in a year, so much so that for a while I wasn't sure that I actually had what I thought I had. Mine has grown from about 1/4" in September 2005 to about 2 1/2" now. I keep temps on the low side (high 60s to low 70s) as I don't use any artificial heat and feed about once a week (usually one of whatever size cricket is appropriate for its size at the time).
What I'm figuring here is that the occasional individual will grow fast like my big one but a more usual growth rate is from the smallest sling to 2-3 inches in one year. If you start with a one inch spider then maybe 5 inches a year later but it took at least 4 molts to go from 1/4 inch to 1 inch if I recall which was at least 6 months. That is still incredible growth when you figure not the length but the weight gain is exponential. My large one now at 5 inches is hundreds or thousands of times larger than when I got it at 1/4 inch.

If a human baby grew like that it would be 25 feet tall and weigh three thousand pounds! In one year! And still only be half grown!

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What I'm figuring here is that the occasional individual will grow fast like my big one but a more usual growth rate is from the smallest sling to 2-3 inches in one year. If you start with a one inch spider then maybe 5 inches a year later but it took at least 4 molts to go from 1/4 inch to 1 inch if I recall which was at least 6 months. That is still incredible growth when you figure not the length but the weight gain is exponential. My large one now at 5 inches is hundreds or thousands of times larger than when I got it at 1/4 inch.

If a human baby grew like that it would be 25 feet tall and weigh three thousand pounds! In one year! And still only be half grown!
Yup....I got a L. Parahybana sling just around New Year this year...It was practically microscopic. After 5 months, its just over half and inch. At that rate, I doubt it can get up to 6" in a year...even though that's what the seller told me. It's growing though. Cute little guy:) kinda skittish, too.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you powerfeed them they can grow up to about 5" in a year, but i wouldn't recommend it. Well fed it should hit about the 3" mark in a years time. Personally I prefer Blondi, but thats because L Parahybana has nothing special IMO. Both are big, ones brown, ones black. Only thing is Parahybana are cheaper and more hardy.