Lasiodora parahybana

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I"m actually going to buy two maybe three of these of guys (at .5 inches) and I did some research so can anyone who knows about these tarantulas let me know if I have recieved the correct information. And if you have one of these can you just tell me what you like or don't like (i doubt if you dont like anything about it) about it? Please and thank you. (note: all / most of this information is directly from a caresheet I found on the net I copy n pasted the information so I can make sure its ALL correct.)

Here is what I found out:

Common name:Brazilian Salmon Tarantula
Scientific name: Lasiodora parahybana

-One of the largest tarantula species in the world
-active
-Its able to reach 6 inches in one year
-Good eater
-Do not burrow or make large webs
-orgin: Brazil
-Diet Spiderlings eat pinhead crickets, and other small insects. Adults eat crickets, other large insects, small lizards, pinkie mice, and an occasional fuzzy mouse.
-Humidity 78 to 82%. All tarantulas that have at least a 3" legspan may drink from a shallow, wide water dish.
-Temperament Semi-aggressive and active.
-Housing Spiderlings can live in a clear plastic deli-container with air holes. Adults can live in a 10 to 20-gallon tank. Floor space is more important than height.
-Substrate 3 to 5 inches of peat moss, or potting soil.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I highly doubt one could reach 6" in one year. I received mine at 1" in June of last year, and it's around 3.5" now. That's pretty quick, but I don't think it'll pick up a few inches within the next three months.

Also, mine has burrowed beneath its hide all the way to the bottom of the kk. That said, it stays out in the open all the time unless I'm doing tank maintenance.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As spiderling's they will burrow, I have 3 parahybana's 2 large ones and a small sling, they are very easy to keep, dry substrate and a hide and a water dish as adults...they are great eaters and don't hide or burrow as adults...great spiders IMO...

Regards, Mike

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Everything on your list looks about right to me. The growth varies on how much you feed it, just like with any T. And as Amanda and Mike H. have said, they can burrow, although my sling hasn't. The humidity thing is also a constant arguement, so if you follow that with your other T's, then that range looks pretty good. I have only had my sling for a few months, but it's wicked cool, alot more "curious" and active than other T's.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Everything on your list looks about right to me. The growth varies on how much you feed it, just like with any T. And as Amanda and Mike H. have said, they can burrow, although my sling hasn't. The humidity thing is also a constant arguement, so if you follow that with your other T's, then that range looks pretty good. I have only had my sling for a few months, but it's wicked cool, alot more "curious" and active than other T's.
Thanks everyone who responded.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Paras are wonderful Ts. Mine has gone from a tiny little one to a 4 inch male in a year. He eats very well, never hides, and is very active. He is skittish though, and is pretty fast. He is a really good display T.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 4 guys has gone from 2 mm small nymphs to 2" since july. It took a good amount of molts to get over the magic 1 cm where they start to put on some size per molt. They have molted once a month, very regulary up to now. During the Swedish winter months they have been less active due to temperature.

A thought on the initial post, they seem to do fine with less humidity than 78%-82% but they do like to get their soil moisted.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a very good ( t ) to have good eater gets big on show a lot a bit mad but a lot of ( t ) are lol i had one years ago and it would jump on anything i put in very easy to keep just be careful working in its tank but i say go for it and now i like one again :clap: :clap: :clap: any way good luck to you and your ( t ) **** phil

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what about temperature range?
im trying to decide between this and a t.blondi

just put a heat mat on the back of my tank and it seems to be putting the temp to around 75...would this be ok for any of those 2 t's

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what about temperature range?
im trying to decide between this and a t.blondi

just put a heat mat on the back of my tank and it seems to be putting the temp to around 75...would this be ok for any of those 2 t's

You don't have to worry about the tempeture that the heat mat gives off as long as it doesnt go too far in the 90s you just have to worry about more where you put it depending on if the species is aboreal or terresterial.

IF its teresterial put the heat mat on the side because if it burrows it will be directly over the heat mat which may kill it.

if its aboreal you can put it on any part of the tank because it can just move out of the way of the heat if it wants to cool down...

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My L.parahybana is in a medium KK full of coconut fiber. He/she's got it all labrynthed out real good with an intricate tunnel system at the bottom and he/she never comes out but when getting ready to molt hangs about the entrance cone. Got he/she back in Oct. and has molted twice, and I have no idea how big he/she is cause he/she is so hard to see, lol. I estimate around 1.75-2 inches tho, and if a cricket goes down that tunnel, it never comes back out...dun de dun dun, lol. Pretty cool lil spider for a freebie.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeh i have put the heat mat on the side of the tank...its wierd though...when i have no heating in the tank the temp goes to like 70 and with this heat mat it doesnt look to be making much of a difference at all...the themometer is only reading about 72

are heat mats supposed to make more of a difference than that?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi where are you and how big is the heat mat i am the u/k and my tanks around 75- 78 with a heat mat that about 10insx 6ins the room the tanks are in can get up to 80 then i have 5 mats on 5 tanks **** phil

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeh i have put the heat mat on the side of the tank...its wierd though...when i have no heating in the tank the temp goes to like 70 and with this heat mat it doesnt look to be making much of a difference at all...the themometer is only reading about 72

are heat mats supposed to make more of a difference than that?
They should, yes. I get several degrees (C) outta mine... and a C is bigger than an F.

It could be a heat conductance problem. If you have a very well airated enclosure, and the heat mat is below, then it might only be making the ground warm. Move the thermometer to the soil and see if that is significantly warmer. Chances are that the thermometer is actually reading the air temperature outside. Moving the thermometer will help this.

The only solution to that (if that's what's going on) would be to cover over some of the ventilation holes in the enclosure. That will increase your humidity, however, so you will require less misting/watering.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my heat mat is just under 3ft and my tank is 3ft

the heat mat is on the side now and the themometer is on the floor and it is reading 70

i have just got some polystyrene to stick on the back of the tank over the heat mat to try and insulate the heat coming off the back of the mat.

it just seems like getting this mat was a waste of time really but because i split my tank into 2 sections the bulb only really warmed up the section that it was in (and a bit too warm at that) and i couldnt think of anything else that would heat both halfs up.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh also another thing...the mat is on the front of the tank now to test it but i will be moving it onto the back...the only thing is the back has one of those aquarium backgrounds on it....will this affect the heat conducting from the mat and make it even less affective?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Try closing up some of the ventilation... that may help keep warmth in.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just tried that but it doesnt seem to be making much of a difference...and now that its on the back with the aquarium background paper between the mat and the glass i dont think it will work even less lol

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It'll take more than a couple of hours to have any real effect, I would think. Give it a while...

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks ace...i just taped the polystyrene to the tank properly so all the mat is touching the glass...also closed up some ventilation ....ill see how things go :)