Lasiodora parahybana

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I've decided just to create a thread on one of my newest tarantulas and her enclosure. And probably nothing to generally raise the issue over but heck I started in scorps and have previous tarantula experience. But oftentimes not as intimate as others like the topic of breeding and eggsacs for instance yet I read every thread that's been posted in this forum since becoming a member.

Anyways but back to the issue at hand, I received the Salmon Pink (and what a beauty she is, pics rarely capture the vivid salmon pink setae and other contrasts) last friday morning. Basically it has been like about 36 hours since I've had her. I have her enclosed in a comfortable roomy container, cross ventilated with approximately 36 airholes, ten each lengthwise, three each widthwise, and ten in the lid via an icepick.

Substrate is 4" of EcoEarth pre-dried to about to the moistness of a twinky cake and similarly bouncy. The waterdish is deep 3"x3" and she took a long drink not long after she was rehoused.

But here is the questions, in the 36 hour time that I've had, she likes to spend an extraneously amount of time perpendicular on the walls and even has run a slow methodical lap around the whole container occassionally webbing. Then eventually come down and spend some time sitting on the substrate or moving to and fro.

I probably shouldn't even bother posting this but the question is regarding the perpendicular sitting she does? Rather than the sit on the substrate? Is she slow simply getting used to the new environment or what? Would a hide help or should I even bother? Or maybe I am not giving her enough time?

She appears very happy and content btw!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She is just getting use to her new home. Thats all there really is to say. Welcome to the tarantula hobby. You should get some pics up of her and her enclosure. Congrats on the great new addition.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you for the red carpet welcome and a second reassuring opinion. :D

I can't get enough of these spiders and want to discuss them every hour. I didn't think there was anything to be concerned over watching the parahybana doing her best Spidey impression. But one never knows...

And the topic gave me something to further discuss.