Lasiodora parahybana

Tract

Arachnopeon
This is my 2 LP's that molted 1 week from each other this month. Im amazed how these little guys never used a borrow and are always up and about. Oh and they are amazing eaters already even at 1inch. I fed them 3-4 days before pre molt. But post molt i think i would be switching to once a week. Any suggestions? yes i provide a water dish for all my slings. Humidity is pretty low where im at.

20220527_074238.jpg
20220527_074523.jpg

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Welcome :)

Awesome species and in just a few years you will have some impressively huge and spunky spiders. Always a favourite.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I fed them 3-4 days before pre molt. But post molt i think i would be switching to once a week. Any suggestions?
My sling is not too many moults ahead of yours based on the pictures, I'm still doing 3ish days between offerings. If the last prey item is rejected, I'll give it at least twice the wait and try again.

Once the abdomen is starts holding a bit too much weight I cut right back to maybe an attempt every couple of weeks.

I find it is way easier to over feed them than starve them :)

Tract

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. I love my Lp's lol. When i drop some live prey they just gobble them up fast. I'll continue the 3-4 day feeding and just watch how it goes.
Unlike my ceratogyrus darlingi sling. Main definition of a pet hole. Hasn't eaten for 1 month now but big booty to the max. So it might be in premolt. And my brachypelma hamorii is broken. Even attacks a water dish.😅😅

ButterMan

Arachnosquire
I have a sling that tried to starve itself to death. Buried itself for like a month AFTER MOLTING and I had to intervene eventually

Tract

Arachnopeon
I have a sling that tried to starve itself to death. Buried itself for like a month AFTER MOLTING and I had to intervene eventually
I was thinking the same thing with my C. Darlingi. Really worried after 2 weeks of not eating and it was just hiding in its burrow the whole time. Now its been more than a month and its coming out more. Until i touch the enclosure. And goes straight to the burrow.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Oft, I'd have been flapping a bit too there! But it has reminded me of something I saw posted on another thread regarding not seeing fossorial Ts in a while that had a comment from @Marcostaco that you might find useful:

My P. muticus females used to have really deep burrows with blocked entrances. I would have to dig the blocked entrances in order to drop prey and feed them, if I didn't do that they would literally never surface and would have starved themselves to death. That routine dragged on for about 2 years or so.

Until I spoke to Andrew Smith, he told me that in the wild; heavy rains and a drop in temperature is their trigger to surface and feed. So last year, I tried to mimic that in their enclosures. During the cold winter months, I would pour water in their enclosures to give the substrate a good soak, lo and behold both of the females started opening their burrows' entrances and started to actively wait for prey. I would feed them regularly during these cold months and when the temperatures start get warmer I would stop keeping their substrate moist and would let it get bone dry. This would then trigger them to once again block their burrows and during this period some of them will even molt. I will refrain from feeding them until the temperatures get drop again and I will repeat the process