Lasiodora parahybana vTheraphosa Apophysis is it worth it for me?

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
I own an LP sling that's around 1.5cm 59inch last time i saw it .
Lives underground thinking i might try and starve it for a while in order to get a glimpse of it .
Anyway would i really see any benifit in getting a T.Apophysis sliing 3-4 cm 1.5inch ?
I am speaking as a tarantula keeper not collector well that's my aspiration .
Avoiding shows , mysteryboxes (that's just blatant gambling addiction ) and can't go to any pet shops that sell spiders .
I have 12 almost all beginner types with the lp and my A.Genic as the two fast growers .
I come from the antkeeping world so extra humidity and care level of T.Apophysis doesn't really worry me .
So i am interested in opinions from people who have both who can honestly tell me if i will need a Theraphosa species in my life will it add anything i can't get or am i just trying to convince myself that its ok to buy just one more t ?
I have all the other 12 's futures planned out assuming that some will be male and be long gone before some of the slower growers need a larger tank .

Just incase it's important my collection at the moment .
A.Hemtzi 1cm .39inch
G.pulchripes 2cm .78inch
G.pulchripes 3.5inch
T.Albo 5cm 1.9inch
T.Albo 4inch
B.Hamoria 1 inch
T.Sabulosum 1 inch
A.Genic 2cm .78 inch
L.P 1.5cm .59inch
A.Avic 1.5cm .59inch
GBB 1cm .39inch
B.horribla 2inch

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
personally I own neither. I just don't have the space to house an adult of either species.

worldsparadox

Arachnopeon
After keeping for years, what matters to me are species with uniqueness ie: unmatched beauty, aggression, size, or lifestyles. otherwise i'm looking for species I wish to breed. There are a couple thoughts on breeding but for me its something I want, something that's rare, or something that's valuable. that whole 'want' thing is hard lol. BUT first and foremost before looking to grow a collection I like to make sure the animals I have are thriving, and not just surviving.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
In my opinion, if you have to ask a bunch of strangers if you should get a particular T, then you don't really want it in the first place - so pass!

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
would i really see any benifit in getting a T.Apophysis sliing
What do you mean by benefit? There is no benefit in keeping one tarantula over another other. We keep tarantulas because we want to keep them. Do you want to get a T apophysis? Have you prepared and done research so that you are equipped to look after one? Are you committed to keeping this animal not just now but in the future? These are questions you need to ask yourself.

am i just trying to convince myself that its ok to buy just one more t ?
I think this could be the case.

will it add anything i can't get
It will add a spider that will grow to be absolutely huge into your life, but you already have an LP which will do this. Other than that, we can't know what it will add, only you know that. Again, do you want this species in particular, or just a new T? If you do want it, then get it after researching about the species (don't rush to buy one thinking you'll miss out, there will be more in the future). If you are unsure, then pass on it and think about a T you really want. Not trying to be negative here man, but I don't want any T to go to someone who isn't actually that fussed about it.

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies .
Tarantulaland By starve it i meant i put food in and it all goes by the next time i check apart from pre moult .
I just thought i should make it hungry enough to come out for food so i can see it .
MMTS like the post about asking strangers I was hoping that people would put me off I think .
Mr Mike that sounds like a sensible approach I like to think I have managed to put the brakes on before things got out of hand I can see how it's so cheap and easy to get loads .
Thanks cmac
I just needed level headed advice .
The LP will do it all .

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Thanks for all the replies .
Tarantulaland By starve it i meant i put food in and it all goes by the next time i check apart from pre moult .
I just thought i should make it hungry enough to come out for food so i can see it .
MMTS like the post about asking strangers I was hoping that people would put me off I think .
Mr Mike that sounds like a sensible approach I like to think I have managed to put the brakes on before things got out of hand I can see how it's so cheap and easy to get loads .
Thanks cmac
I just needed level headed advice .
The LP will do it all .
I think this is a wise choice. Again, check your living space, now imagine two MASSIVE enclosures housing 2 Big Ts.
Your Genic will need a big cage, as will the 2 pulchripes. So that's 2 huge enclosures and 3 big ones, Plus 6-7 mediums and a med arboreal. Visualize that footprint,
if you have the room, by all means, if you don't proceed cautiously

cold blood

Staff member
I own an LP sling that's around 1.5cm 59inch last time i saw it .
Lives underground
This is almost certainly due to over-sized housing.....smaller housing will allow you to see your sling more....it will eat much more consistently and as a result, grow significantly faster.

Also as you are comparing the LP to a Theraphosa I want to be clear that the LP isn't going to grow into the moster 10"+ t you may have been led to believe, their size is more around the 7-8" range, pretty much the same as a geniculata.
I come from the antkeeping world so extra humidity and care level of T.Apophysis doesn't really worry me .
You have clearly done your research in the wrong places....there are NO parallels to ant keeping...humidity isnt a concern at all, in fact its not something you should be measuring or really even paying attention to.....instead, simply focus on the substrate dampness for those moisture dependent species.....add water, wait till it dries, and then (and only then) add more water....and add it by pouring the water in, never by misting.

Keep things simple and you willl be far more successful.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
This is almost certainly due to over-sized housing.....smaller housing will allow you to see your sling more....it will eat much more consistently and as a result, grow significantly faster.
Also as you are comparing the LP to a Theraphosa I want to be clear that the LP isn't going to grow into the moster 10"+ t you may have been led to believe, their size is more around the 7-8" range, pretty much the same as a geniculata.
Keep things simple and you willl be far more successful.
Why I chose a A geniculata for my big T. Prettier, just as big, and lacking all that hair tossing

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
L. parahybana are a sorta of 'Poor man's Theraphosa' (cheaper while Theraphosa spp. aren't, always available in the trade, interesting size etc).

Mah... It's up to you at the end, can't say anything else.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Wait wait wait, how are mystery boxes just "blatant gambling addiction." Maybe you know something I don't, but last time I checked I did not see anyone blowing thousands on Tarantula mystery boxes trying to strike it big and get a T seladonia pair or something lol.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Why I chose a A geniculata for my big T. Prettier, just as big, and lacking all that hair tossing
Woah, really? Your genic doesn't kick? You got some luck right there, mine is probably the biggest hairkicker I have. Young LP I got is waaaay calmer... Just backs up the good old 'each T is individual' spiel I guess.

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replys once again .
Cold blood .
I believe i have managed to get all my humidity about right now for all the species that i currently keep though it did take a few months of trail and error mainly in making things far too wet .
I have watched every video and read every care guide i can find on Theraphosa including all the ones on here that's what i meant by not worried about the extra care though i think most of the extra requirements other than space are about not getting any hair on you .
But thanks in part to this thread i think i will at least leave it a few years .
Pmer those mystery boxes look so exciting but so impractical .
I love watching people open them but usually they have nearly everything sometimes many tines over .
Some must be up in the 40 -60 slings catorgory by now after only a couple of years in the hobby .
Apart from the fact it must start to feel like a job to have to feed them all i would say its addictive to keep getting them and part off the fun is the gamble of what you will get .
Totally forgetting about the long term housing of huge amounts of spiders and treating yourself to another mystery box is a very tempting thing I think .

Last edited:

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Good choice, it is so easy to keep shopping but hard to stop.
It is also important to take a step back and enjoy what we already have rather than chasing the new.

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
Wolfram I think you are right .
I know i easily fall into the trap of getting more and more of things.
I need to stick to my one in one out policy from now on that also means males are a good thing .

cold blood

Staff member
I believe i have managed to get all my humidity about right now for all the species that i currently
you clearly missed the meat of my message.

There is NO "right" humidity....any species can be kept in literally any humidity, its just not relevant, only substrate moisture matters.

Care sheets are not to be trusted, stop reading them.

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
Cold blood my favourite YouTuber is tom moran i am well aware of the phony info out there .
what i mean by i think I have them about right is a you say for the larger ones the substrate is mainly dry with a water dish and overfilling the dish around once a week .
The slings all vary .
I an very proud of my custom made avic enlosure with extra height and ventilation .
The Gbb has been rehoused twice now because i wanted it dry enough .
Most of the others i try to provide a gradient within the small or next size up braspkast tubs though they all needed extra vebtilation due to condenstaion .

Yes i agree My Lp is not in the small size as it should be at that size ,when i recieved it i only had the next size up .
I have basically been thinking it should grow into the size of enclosure its in fast enough though i just suffer not seeing it much .

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I'm the other way around. i agree with @Chris LXXIX about the poor man's Theraphosa. I have a female juvenile T. stirmi and got an LP baby sling as a freebie. Now I'm like "I don't know what to do with this LP.. I already have a monster growing on my shelf."