User Moyzie's Tarantula Pictures

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
Hey guys n girls

This is the first time ive taken and shared pics of the my T's. Nobody in my real life wants to see them, not in the flesh nor even a photo ! Hopefully there might be a better response here. 2 pics from last week, the others are from tonight at feeding time

Ive had the Lasiodora parahybana (pink salmon) since the start of April and feeding him has been kinda boring. Not once has he/she even been interested in the food when i have done feedings. Roaches are ALWAYS gone by morning but there was always a reluctance to eat direct from me and would move away from the tongs. Ive been patient and wondered that that maybe the previous owner fed indirectly. I bought that T from a store that had many T's on sale that were a collection they had taken in. Either that or was just "shy" due to the pre molt mood swing ?!?!?

He/she molted a couple of weeks back and this was the second feed since then. I thought i would try on a worm again and I was very happy when it was snapped out of the tongs.... bit a few times and then held like a trophy for me to photo. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

4.jpg

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
you really need to quit with all that trying to feed it direct from the tongs. you could have caused it to have broken fangs during this feeding had it struck the tongs rather than the worm just wait a lil longer between feedings so its hungry. mines always in its burrow but when i drop a cricket at the entrance it dashes out to snatch it right up. also sooner or later its gonna run right up those tongs once it gets bigger and the greedy rep they have kicks inthen you risk a bite or injury to your t

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
you really need to quit with all that trying to feed it direct from the tongs. you could have caused it to have broken fangs during this feeding had it struck the tongs rather than the worm just wait a lil longer between feedings so its hungry. mines always in its burrow but when i drop a cricket at the entrance it dashes out to snatch it right up. also sooner or later its gonna run right up those tongs once it gets bigger and the greedy rep they have kicks inthen you risk a bite or injury to your t
What ? Quit trying to feed it from tongs? Fair point having thought about what you said - even though part of my brain is going "but ive watched 100s of videos of them doing that"
It does make sense, it would be like me biting a fork rather than the fillet steak. My toes have folded over just imagining it

I was feeding the T every 2 weeks pre the molting, based on its apparent lack of appetite. Thats what I think pleased me more than surprised me. This time there was an interest in food straight away. i had been planning on feeding a cricket 5/6 days after the worm, based on a twice weekly feed pattern, but delayed a little due to the size of the worm in this meal.

TattingTarantula

Arachnopeon
I've gotten a set of wooden tongs when I got into old worlds because of the fangs. Maybe a good compromise if you are using tongs to move for example a water dish, and they strike on accident.
My T's often needed a few days/weeks before instantly killing food. In the beginning I just drop pre killed zophobas (so they don't burrow) until they feel a bit more home-y. Or live crickets, if they were not in premolt.

Pretty T! And I don't think anyone here will complain if you show him/her off more. :D

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
I've gotten a set of wooden tongs when I got into old worlds because of the fangs. Maybe a good compromise if you are using tongs to move for example a water dish, and they strike on accident.
My T's often needed a few days/weeks before instantly killing food. In the beginning I just drop pre killed zophobas (so they don't burrow) until they feel a bit more home-y. Or live crickets, if they were not in premolt.

Pretty T! And I don't think anyone here will complain if you show him/her off more. :D
Wooden tongs for maintenance - great idea. Metal tongs.... use on the fish tank for plant maintenance instead

I would show you the other one too (the Brazilian red head), which bizarrely ate a pre killed Zophobas yesterday. Problem is she or he is not looking very photogenic, the abdomen is 80% bare of hair , and the shockingly bright red carapace is not as described.

As soon as its molted I will be asking them to pose for a few more pictures, when that body confidence has returned