Lasiodora parahybana 'Hair' loss worries

cold blood

Staff member
All that surface clutter looks nice and natural....but in captivity it all only serves as hiding places for feeders. On top of that, all of it will be constantly dropped in the water dish which makes a mess, and drains the dish, soaking the sub.

A nice clear floor makes things easier for both you and the t. The long stick also serves no purpose.

Big improvement on the new home, well done.

andy bunn

Arachnosquire
Do not use what you are using now as substrate. Coconut fiber, peat moss, and topsoil are good substrates.
Hi the substrate in there is a tarantula specific one and I added some coconut fibre to give it some depth until the substrate I ordered arrives. What's wrong with this substrate?

All that surface clutter looks nice and natural....but in captivity it all only serves as hiding places for feeders. On top of that, all of it will be constantly dropped in the water dish which makes a mess, and drains the dish, soaking the sub.

A nice clear floor makes things easier for both you and the t. The long stick also serves no purpose.

Big improvement on the new home, well done.
I put the long stick in because my Lp seems to like sitting on it. He's always sitting on that when not in his hide. I understand what your saying about being hiding places for feeders but when I put them in he eats them straight away. I will remove the plant though. Thanks for the advice.

andy bunn

Arachnosquire
but it wont always eat right away.;)
OK. I hear what you are saying. I will take out the plant and the stick and the stone. I just thought different things in there might make it more interesting for my Lp. Thanks for your help.

OK. I hear what you are saying. I will take out the plant and the stick and the stone. I just thought different things in there might make it more interesting for my Lp. Thanks for your help.
Hi Cold Blood, is the substrate OK?

fried rice

Arachnoknight
What's wrong with this substrate?

Is it coconut husk chips? Any substrate that is chips are not good for tarantulas. Coconut husk chips prevent burrowing. This species usually doesnt burrow as adults but Coconut fiber or top soil is also more comfortable for them and allows them to burrow if they want to. Fortunately, coconut husk chips are not the worst substrate. Mulch and gravel are a lot worse...