Lasiodora parahybana 'Hair' loss worries

andy bunn

Arachnosquire
A while ago my Lasiodora parahybana had a Bald spot. He has had a molt and it seems to be getting worse.

I don't understand why. I don't see any mites etc that might cause this and he does not seem stressed out to me.

Can anyone help me please?

Many thanks

Andy Del toro 30 March 2020.jpg

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
New Worlds just randomly kick urticating hairs off, sometimes even just onto their webbing as a deterrent to predators that walk on it. They often do this out of site. In all honesty i dont see anything to worry about, other than a falling hazard with the spider being so well fed

andy bunn

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the advice. This is something that I worry about. I know about the being well fed. I have stopped feeding him. He doesn't climb much at all. He's great though. Really calmed since his last molt.

cold blood

Staff member
Missing hair is not a health concern in any way shape or form. Its normal.

I see you have a climbing wall in there...that's a big red flag, not only as to the enclosure (its something usually only seen in arboreal enclosures), but also that the enclosure could have too much height for a terrestrial...especially a big fat heavy bodied terrestrial.

JayManges

Arachnopeon
He's a chubby little cubby that's for sure. At least his appetite isn't a problem.

andy bunn

Arachnosquire
I put the climbing wall as you put it in the vivarium as decoration and because he used to climb the smooth sides. I was worried that he might slip and fall so gave him something to grip.

He never climbs any more.

I was told thst this vivarium would be fine for a Lasiodora parahybana.

I know he's fat and that's my fault. He went along time without eating anything, almost a year and looked really skinny. When he started to eat again I fed him to much. He's on a diet of just water now.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I have a suspicion that your LP is in an arboreal setup or one with way too much height. Adding a climbing wall to encourage a dangerous behavior is....unwise. Can you provide pics of the entire setup?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I put the climbing wall as you put it in the vivarium as decoration and because he used to climb the smooth sides. I was worried that he might slip and fall so gave him something to grip.

He never climbs any more.

I was told thst this vivarium would be fine for a Lasiodora parahybana.

I know he's fat and that's my fault. He went along time without eating anything, almost a year and looked really skinny. When he started to eat again I fed him to much. He's on a diet of just water now.
Those are pretty heavy bodied speicies. They should ve kept in enclosures that are very low from the substrate to the lid. If kept in a 10 inch tall enclosure, there should be 7-8 inches of substrate or something like that. The tarantula should not be able to climb and fall . This speicies likes to climb IME

andy bunn

Arachnosquire
I have a suspicion that your LP is in an arboreal setup or one with way too much height. Adding a climbing wall to encourage a dangerous behavior is....unwise. Can you provide pics of the entire setup?
Not what I was expecting!! And i've honestly never seen an enclosure like that one. But yeah, more sub.

What were you expecting. I am having difficulty due to Covid 19 lockdown to get more of this substrate but I will add more when I can. I was told that this enclosure would be fine for my Lasiodora parahybana. That's why I put him in there.

I would add more substrate
I'm working on that as we speak.

What were you expecting. I am having difficulty due to Covid 19 lockdown to get more of this substrate but I will add more when I can. I was told that this enclosure would be fine for my Lasiodora parahybana. That's why I put him in there.
Is this enclosure no good then? What do you suggest please. I just want what's best for him.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I mean this with utmost respect, but whoever told you that enclosure would be fine for your LP, both at its current size and for a heavy bodied terrestrial tarantula in general, clearly didn't know what they were talking about. There's too much height to that enclosure, and even though you don't SEE your T climb, you're also not watching it 24/7, and I can assure you it does. All Ts will climb when given opportunity to - even when it's not in their best interest.

Fall hazards may sound silly but for a T like an LP it's pretty serious; their abdomen could be compared to a water balloon. A flexible membrane full of liquid (or in a spider's case, their vital organs) that can stretch to some capacity, but when filled very generously and dropped from a height... I'm sure I don't need to fill in the blanks on that one. And I'm not sure about you, but even if my T could possibly live in that for the rest of its life and not get hurt/die from a fall injury, I just wouldn't even take the risk. It isn't worth it.

For future reference, heavy body terrestrials should be housed in an enclosure with a height from substrate to the top that is at most ~1.5x the Ts legspan. So a 4" T shouldn't have climbing room exceeding 6", for example.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
What do you suggest please. I just want what's best for him.
What's the leg span of your spider?

Either a kritter keeper (which you can order from most online reptile stores) or go to plasticboxshop and order a hobby life tub from there.

Here is a 7L hobby life tub next to a medium kritter keeper
medium kk - 7L tub.JPG

A 13L hobby life tub is the same size as a large kritter keeper.

I'd use a 21L or a 20L flat hobby life tub for an adult.
21L tub.jpg
20L flat.jpg

andy bunn

Arachnosquire
OK I am going to get a new enclosure for my LP ASAP. Thank you all for your concerns and advice. I feel such a dumbass. But I live and learn as will my LP.

In future I will disregard any other source of advice and come here first. Thank you once again.

I'm going to get a 20L flat hobby life tub and I will post new pictures of the new enclosure as soon as I get it.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
No need to feel like a dumbass, sadly the world is rife with misinformation on tarantulas and appropriate husbandry for them. We're always more than happy to help.

I say this without exaggeration, these boards are quite possibly THE best single source of up to date info on tarantula care, with the knowledge and expertise of keepers from all over the world. 😋

andy bunn

Arachnosquire
No need to feel like a dumbass, sadly the world is rife with misinformation on tarantulas and appropriate husbandry for them. We're always more than happy to help.

I say this without exaggeration, these boards are quite possibly THE best single source of up to date info on tarantula care, with the knowledge and expertise of keepers from all over the world. 😋

You're so right about this place. I'm gonna stop listening to shop people and throw my books away and just come here for solid information.

One last question. Is this size OK

Size 25CM L X 17CM W X 12CM H

I have been out and I have been able to buy a new enclosure for my LP.

I hope that this will be better for him.

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been out and I have been able to buy a new enclosure for my LP.

I hope that this will be better for him.
Much, much better than the old terrarium you posted a picture of. The enclosure seems little too low, i prefer to add more substrate, even for a L parahybana that are not known for their burrowing, but anyways. You have a proper hide for it

andy bunn

Arachnosquire
Much, much better than the old terrarium you posted a picture of. The enclosure seems little too low, i prefer to add more substrate, even for a L parahybana that are not known for their burrowing, but anyways. You have a proper hide for it
They didn't have any substrate in the shop so I have ordered some online. As soon as I get it I'm gonna raise the level.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
Do not use what you are using now as substrate. Coconut fiber, peat moss, and topsoil are good substrates.