lasiodora klugi vs parahybana

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha I didn't check the days when I read halfway thru the 3 pager and was ready to reply defending a guy from 2012

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
My L klugi is one of my favorite T's. She has a great appetite and I can't wait to continue to see her grow. I would definitely choose klugi over parahybana (a dime a dozen)

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I realize this is an old thread but there is one factor that's been overlooked. That's the economic value of the T once it becomes an adult.

A Klugi sling might be say $30-$60 depending on size. A LP sling might only be $10.

The difference in price for adults is way more then $20 to $50 !! Of course, most people don't raise Ts for profit but you never know when a good trade might present itself. The slings in an egg sac and the price is important to breeders.

From the money standpoint, LK beats LP hands down. In terms of actual day to day keeping and behavior, it's close to a draw. That's why I selected that one and not one of the more common Lasiodora species.

I'm sure that either is a joy to keep and each makes an impressive display spider, and isn't a bad choice for a first time keeper.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, since this thread has risen (again!) I'll make a couple comments.

1. There isn't a dull moment when it comes to my L.P. That is to say, it murders prey, and either scuttles quickly away or attacks/kicks hairs if annoyed. The rest of the time it sits around, but that pretty much describes every tarantula I've kept, but that's actually a pretty low number of spiders. I like the way they look, too. I like flashy tarantulas, but it is not a deciding factor.
The other night, I had placed a six-inch wooden ruler nearby my LP in order to get a reasonably accurate measurement. Nothing really happened. I took the picture and retrieved the ruler with tongs. WHAM! A brief tug of war ensued.
Wish it hadn't have happened, it could have broken a fang, but I don't think it did. It did afford me a good look at those fangs in action, further cementing my lack of desire to put my fingers anywhere near the thing.

Without the most knowledgeable collectors and breeders here, you don't get the important questions answered and have a bunch of silly, cutesy chit chat. That'll sink this forum.
As it was posted 4 years ago, that wasn't exactly Nostradamus level fortune-telling. Because here we are. Discussing Lasiodora in an ancient thread. :D

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I think I'll revive this thread. I have been absent of late. I WILL add that Lasiodora are the only species that I have encountered which have caused me skin irritation. I learned to never reach in without latex gloves to retrieve a water dish (or even collect debris). Itchy & scratchy!

VukSRB

Arachnosquire
Laying here on my bed reading this old thread and scratching my irritated skin from handling my Parahybana 12 DAYS AGO. Hi mid 2020!

Silokun1010

Arachnopeon
IMO the klugi wins hands down. I think its markings are a lot nicer than a parahybana. I don't really rate parahybanas, think they are a bit boring.Plus klugis aren't 10 a penny like parahybanas {D
What do you mean klugi's markings are a lot nicer than parahybana? Like the stripes on their knees? Does klugi have more noticeable stripes on knees than parahybana?

Silokun1010

Arachnopeon
Reviving this thread again but is this a legitimate L. Klugi? Sold to me as one, she's also pretty big about 7-7.5inches. im having a doubt because she is not as dark as my LP, owner said that her last molt is 1 year ago, maybe that's the reason why she is not as dark. You can notice that the abdomen is darker than the carapace and femurs

Attachments