lasiodora klugi vs parahybana

14pokies

Arachnoprince
There's a lot of good info and pics in old threads. There's been some VERY knowledgeable collectors/breeders here in the past, and we can still learn from their old posts. Some of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby don't come by here anymore, which is a shame. That's one I reason I try to discourage some of the repetitive basic care threads (from beginners who haven't taken the time to do any research) or gems like 'What should I name my spider'. These chase away the people we really need, the ones that can teach us. If we let this forum become Amateur Hour, there's no reason for the experts to come here.
you should start an experts only forum then if it bothers you so much

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
you should start an experts only forum then if it bothers you so much

Without the most knowledgeable collectors and breeders here, you don't get the important questions answered and have a bunch of silly, cutesy chit chat. That'll sink this forum.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
i had a female that was the size of aa time warner cable remote and that was from leg 1 to leg 4 on the same side! Way bigger than any t blondie or pampho ive ever seen. I had pictures but tbe phone they were on self destructed. My girlfriend has seen them tho and can verify that im not telling fish storys. She was massive!
L Klugi 11"? It could happen, some wild bloodlines of Lasiodoras are just bigger due to greater variety. 8-10" is a general size in captivity I hear.

Maybe wild prey is higher in nutritional value who knows. Either way a 8-11" spider is huge.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
L Klugi 11"? It could happen, some wild bloodlines of Lasiodoras are just bigger due to greater variety. 8-10" is a general size in captivity I hear.

Maybe wild prey is higher in nutritional value who knows. Either way a 8-11" spider is huge.
8" is a huge spider, and very few go above that. From what I've seen and read, an occasional Lasiodora might hit 9", but the only ones that I know regularly reach 10" are Theraphosa.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
8" is a huge spider, and very few go above that. From what I've seen and read, an occasional Lasiodora might hit 9", but the only ones that I know regularly reach 10" are Theraphosa.
Only seen Theraphosas hit 10 inch next to a RULER (which is all that matters) and even that is a rare occasion, I can only think of 5 Theraphosas I have seen that are 10 inch+ so all this Pokies and L.P's can hit 10 + junk means nothing to me until I see a ruler next to it or a VERY respectable hobbyist claims he has one over that size, until then I consider Pokies at 9 inch absolute max with the largest I have ever seen next to a ruler was at 8

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Only seen Theraphosas hit 10 inch next to a RULER (which is all that matters) and even that is a rare occasion, I can only think of 5 Theraphosas I have seen that are 10 inch+ so all this Pokies and L.P's can hit 10 + junk means nothing to me until I see a ruler next to it or a VERY respectable hobbyist claims he has one over that size, until then I consider Pokies at 9 inch absolute max with the largest I have ever seen next to a ruler was at 8
Might be some time, I know I am not going to get a ruler next to some of my spiders. I'm content with mine being normal sized, 8 inches is good enough for me, 10+ is a whole lot of spider.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Might be some time, I know I am not going to get a ruler next to some of my spiders. I'm content with mine being normal sized, 8 inches is good enough for me, 10+ is a whole lot of spider.
8 inch is giant, I feel everyone downplays everything under 9 because it seems to be these days everyone has a 9+ inch specimen, just interesting how no one can put a ruler next to theirs.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1. 8" spiders are huge and often seem even larger than they really are. Most Poecs are 6-7", with some rufilata and ornata hitting 8". While a few individuals may exceed that, it's certainly not the norm. Likewise with LP's, which are usually 7-8" spiders. There is a common tendency in this hobby to add an inch or two to the size of the large-growing species, and then that gets spread around and quoted. There's been some posts here of people getting an LP sling and proudly stating they're got the world's biggest spider outside of Theraphosa! Considering the huge sacs LP's have, their availability and low prices, and fast growth, doesn't it seem odd that we're not constantly seeing pics of 9-10"+ LP's next to rulers? They've been in the US for over 20 years.

cold blood

Staff member
+1. 8" spiders are huge and often seem even larger than they really are.
+2

You could show most people a 7 or 8" t and tell them it was 10+ and never get an ounce of doubt from them. Much like fish, its VERY easy for the eye to overestimate size. 8" is HUGE for a spider. I take this into consideration any time someone tells me a huge t or fish story....gotta make the mental adjustments, because over-estimation is all too easy.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
+1. 8" spiders are huge and often seem even larger than they really are. Most Poecs are 6-7", with some rufilata and ornata hitting 8". While a few individuals may exceed that, it's certainly not the norm. Likewise with LP's, which are usually 7-8" spiders. There is a common tendency in this hobby to add an inch or two to the size of the large-growing species, and then that gets spread around and quoted. There's been some posts here of people getting an LP sling and proudly stating they're got the world's biggest spider outside of Theraphosa! Considering the huge sacs LP's have, their availability and low prices, and fast growth, doesn't it seem odd that we're not constantly seeing pics of 9-10"+ LP's next to rulers? They've been in the US for over 20 years.
Quote me on this because this comment will stand as truth forever, LP'S don't hold a candle to Theraphosas in terms of size... nothing does they're hands down the true Gods of the spider world and should be treated as such.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Quote me on this because this comment will stand as truth forever, LP'S don't hold a candle to Theraphosas in terms of size... nothing does they're hands down the true Gods of the spider world and should be treated as such.
They also are pretty dang fickle like a God. My parents freaked out when I bought my c.darlingi and she is "little" at 4 inches. Imagining something twice as big is pretty intimidating. I'll be pleased if my pamph gets to 7 inches that's plenty of spider for me.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah Lp are more leggy , not near as bulky as Theraphosas. No T comes close to Theraphosas in terms of size.

lasiodora klugi can get pretty thick bulkier than LP.
how big does lasiodora klugi actually get, they are rather rare.
I googled lasiodora klugi could find 7-11" dono what size they get....

Last edited:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Yeah Lp are more leggy , not near as bulky as Theraphosas. No T comes close to Theraphosas in terms of size.

lasiodora klugi can get pretty thick bulkier than LP.
how big does lasiodora klugi actually get, they are rather rare.
I googled lasiodora klugi could find 7-11" dono what size they get....
I have a photo here of a huge LP I saved from a while ago and it's the biggest I have ever seen, I estimate at 8-9 inch we have to take into consideration that it's a females hand and her hand is also above the specimen not next to it so the hand is smaller, still the biggest I have seen. LP.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Very impressive LP 8-9" is were I would generally consider huge, 10" being very rare max size. Mine is about 6.5" measured with ruler, looks sub adult.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Very impressive LP 8-9" is were I would generally consider huge, 10" being very rare max size. Mine is about 6.5" measured with ruler, looks sub adult.
Only time will tell though I'm not buying into the 10 in LP, the amount of LPS in people collection and how long they have been in the hobby is just way too long not to have a 10 inch confirmed LP if one existed, they have gigantic sacks as well. Huge spiders but once again nothin beats the Theraphosas

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have a photo here of a huge LP I saved from a while ago and it's the biggest I have ever seen, I estimate at 8-9 inch we have to take into consideration that it's a females hand and her hand is also above the specimen not next to it so the hand is smaller, still the biggest I have seen.

Going by that pic and angle, I'd say that could be a 7" LP, maybe 8." I think a 9-10" stirmi would look a lot bigger.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Going by that pic and angle, I'd say that could be a 7" LP, maybe 8." I think a 9-10" stirmi would look a lot bigger.
Yeah many variables I'm still thinking it looks 8 inch because I'm imagining those front legs fully stretched but who knows, I think those delis are 10 inch long?