lasiodora klugi vs parahybana

ArachnoEvans

Arachnopeon
There's a striatus on The Spider Shop website, looks very nice. Just thought i might tell you, looks like a e.murinus cross L.parahybana :p

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've had both and think L. klugi is slightly better-looking- but also agree that it is more defensive. This isn't saying much as I've only ovvned one of each spp from vvhich to dravv any conclusions. VVhile I can't find reference to the claim, an indiv female L klugi purportedly once held the overall vveight record for all Theraphosids- vvhich vvould mean, if this vvere correct, including T blondi, stirmi and apophysis as vvell. I've heard from reliable sources that vvhile parahybana is leggier/lankier, klugi is proportionately more massive. I lost both of my specimens to a faulty heater quite avvhile back. The female parahybana vvas large- a little over eight inches. The klugi, although only 6" or so at her death, vvas defintitely proportionately thicker. Good luck.

Yes, my keyboard has throvvn it's double-u's for novv- and all of the above are actually tvvo v's- LOL

Terry

Big B

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Terry D,

I have heard/read the same, klugi are heavier bodied, but the parahybana have a slightly bigger leg span. I currently have two klugi and one parahybana.

Wow, sorry to hear your heater stuck on, I run a dual thermostat controller in series to make sure my cabinet doesn't become an oven.

Last edited:

Munch

Arachnosquire
The l.parahybana is cheaper and (in my opinion) less attractive than l.klugi they get about the same size in legspan ,but l.klugi gets hevier bodied than l.parahybana a true l.klugi is pretty rare in the pet trade
Hope it helped ,Trevor

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
This was originally posted in 2005, and hasn't been posted in for a year. I think he figured out what he wanted between the two options

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This was originally posted in 2005, and hasn't been posted in for a year. I think he figured out what he wanted between the two options
Yeah Old threads somehow are brought back, Usualy from members who no longer are on AB. I had 2 Ts in 2005 but didn't know about this site.

Real shame I wish they still were active :(

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yeah Old threads somehow are brought back, Usualy from members who no longer are on AB. I had 2 Ts in 2005 but didn't know about this site.:biggrin:
There's a lot of good info and pics in old threads. There's been some VERY knowledgeable collectors/breeders here in the past, and we can still learn from their old posts. Some of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby don't come by here anymore, which is a shame. That's one I reason I try to discourage some of the repetitive basic care threads (from beginners who haven't taken the time to do any research) or gems like 'What should I name my spider'. These chase away the people we really need, the ones that can teach us. If we let this forum become Amateur Hour, there's no reason for the experts to come here.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
BORING? You should see my L. parahybana leap to the cover of the tank to get a cricket!
+1, I agree, bonesmama. My girl is fascinating to watch, mainly due to her sheer size (almost 9 inches). It's astonishing to watch a T that large move so fast, when it comes to dinner. And she's a real pig too: I've seen her stuff three full size crickets in her face at once. :laugh:

cold blood

Staff member
They may not be boring acting, but they sure are boring LOOKING! Plain jane's of the t world...LP's, A. anax, G. porteri..none of them are special looking in the least. The LP's appetite is all its got going for it IMO. To me they just look like an even less colorful G. porteri. IMO every single large t on the planet looks better than an LP....just my personal opinion, and nothing more though.;)

---------- Post added 10-31-2014 at 12:49 PM ----------

I fed my LP 2-3 male dubias in one sitting she would eat them all.
So would a genic, so would any Phormic, so would any Pamph, etc...their appetite is basically the norm for large fast growing t's IME.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They may not be boring acting, but they sure are boring LOOKING! Plain jane's of the t world...LP's, A. anax, G. porteri..none of them are special looking in the least. The LP's appetite is all its got going for it IMO. To me they just look like an even less colorful G. porteri. IMO every single large t on the planet looks better than an LP....just my personal opinion, and nothing more though.;)

---------- Post added 10-31-2014 at 12:49 PM ----------

So would a genic, so would any Phormic, so would any Pamph, etc...their appetite is basically the norm for large fast growing t's IME.
Yes all of those species have crazy appetites, I have a few of each genus. Shocking how much they can eat, they keep my dubia colony from going out of control.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes all of those species have crazy appetites, I have a few of each genus. Shocking how much they can eat, they keep my dubia colony from going out of control.
They actually have me thinking about starting a roach colony, which I never thought I'd do. But I do have a fondness for big appetite terrestrials.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They actually have me thinking about starting a roach colony, which I never thought I'd do. But I do have a fondness for big appetite terrestrials.

Who knows, you might like snacking on roaches yourself.

Akai

Arachnobaron
I do realize this is old post but L. klugi trumps LPs anyday. They are better looking, thickly built heavy weight spider and they aren't as common as LPs which are the rosies of the large terrestial tarantula world.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
How do you know it's not uncommon? How many have you seen?

I've yet to see any user here post a picture with ANY spider that measures 11" on a ruler.

LOL greg, not to be too nit-picky, but I'm sure you don't keep all of them! :p
i had a female that was the size of aa time warner cable remote and that was from leg 1 to leg 4 on the same side! Way bigger than any t blondie or pampho ive ever seen. I had pictures but tbe phone they were on self destructed. My girlfriend has seen them tho and can verify that im not telling fish storys. She was massive!