Lasiodora housing?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I received my Lasiodora difficilis today, and she is larger than I expected. I would like to put her in a 10 gallon aquarium with acrylic lid, four 2" vents on top, and some golden pothos. Has anyone kept the Lasiodora Sp. in planted enclosures? I have read that people keep them like roseas, but being from Brazil, I would think they would enjoy a little more humidity.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
well Nhandos like it dry like rosies but Lasiodoras seem to like it half wet /half dry
how large is the Fire red birdeater?L difficilis?? got a pic?10gal is fine.. my 7.5" t stirmi & 4.5"LP are in 10gal's

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sold as 4", received as 5" lol. I know the tank wouldn't be too big, but the plants will add humidity..

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
COOL so its around the size of my half sized femaleLP.
LP's get larger though 8.5-10.. rarely 11" full grown
Fire red birdeater L diff. can get up to 9" though very big spider :cool: I have a sling of this species.. L difficillis
these Spiders get rather Large Fangs !!!

Last edited:

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup! I personally like the colors of the difficilis better, but I really like the klugi too!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am surprised nobody chimed in about how they keep their Lasiodora species!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It can sometimes be a little slow on weekends.
I have two LP sac mates that I've raised from 0.25 inch to 6+ inches. I kept them more humid as slings and gradually decreased dampness/humidity as they grew since they seemed to gravitate toward the dryer areas of their enclosures. They are currently in Sterlite containers that measure 10"W x 7" H x 14" L with ~2.5" substrate. In their last enclosures neither burrowed nor did much substrate rearranging though they had 6 - 8 inches with which to do so. So, when I up-sized them, I went for floor space vs depth. Ventilation = 3 rows ~1/8" holes at the top of all four walls. (I'm told this is too much ventilation.)

Each has a ~3" water bowl that I overflow periodically. Otherwise the substrate is dry. I've been told I keep them too dry and I'm forcing them to "survive not thrive", but when I overflow their bowls, both avoid the damp end like the plague. When I have experimented with misting and wetting one end of their enclosures to boost the humidity, both pace and crawl the walls which indicates a stressed tarantula to me. As the humidity goes down they retire to the tops of their hides until the substrate is drier. I don't use a hygrometer so can't give you exact numbers. I don't keep them as dry as G. rosea, GBB or OBT, but they are pretty dry.

When they were smaller and in more plant friendly enclosures, I tried live plants. The spiders were still in their burrowing phases then and had the plants uprooted within a day or so.

In a 10 gal, you can create a bit of a variance to see which conditions she prefers and go with what she seems to prefer versus what anyone dictates to you. Finding out how she was kept before you got her and how she behaved in those conditions would be beneficial, too.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My L. dificilis, so far, is fine with a dry-ish environment with misting every once in a while. Keep half of the substrate slightly damp and you should be fine.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on the difficilis...They are awesome...I have a 8" female and a mature male...I have been pairing them alot lately...anyways. I keep my girl in a 32 quart sterilite tub. some holes drilled in the sides for vents...she has a half log cork bark hide...about a inch of coco fiber, and a large water dish....i keep her completely dry with just the water dish...she has been doing fine... molting great and always hungry...enjoy your Lassie.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't forget to add a LOT of substrate so that the T won't sustain damage from a fall.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol, well I went ahead and put pothos down the sides of the tank, and I put drier substrate down the middle. She wandered around on the glass for awhile, but this morning she was sitting on the "ground ". I put in about 5" of substrate, but I don't like filling it more than that as it makes the tank really heavy...