Lasiadora Klugi Male overly aggressive

LarryT

Arachnopeon
Hello to all of you.

I want to introduce myself, i am from a small country called Liechtenstein and I am 27. I have been watching videos and reading books about Tarantulas for about 3 years now.
Finally I decided to get my own. I checked the internet and found relatively nearby a collector that has Tarantulas for sale. He has about 60 different species.
I decided for a 2 year old not mature Lasiadora Klugi male (because it is not so common and they are very pretty) and a Juvenile Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens female.

Now my question:
L. Klugi is known to be on the defensive side XD.... but when i open the terrarium and touch anything inside, it can be the water dish or the substrate he immediately teleports to the spot and try’s to attack. The same when i take a paintbrush and touch his back leg gently. he has a very big enclosure with a forest theme. i made him a nice comfy hiding place but I didn’t give him a lot of substrate because these species don’t NEED to burrow. He uses his hide almost never and always displays himself on the same spot. humidity and temperature is good.

Can anyone tell my why he is so aggressive? The last molt was in January. Is it possible that he is so hungry that he thinks everything is food? I feed him every Week 2 Adult Crickets.

Thanks for the Help

Attachments

Last edited:

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Hello to all of you.

I want to introduce myself, i am from a small country called Liechtenstein and I am 27. I have been watching videos and reading books about Tarantulas for about 3 years now.
Finally I decided to get my own. I checked the internet and found relatively nearby a collector that has Tarantulas for sale. He has about 60 different species.
I decided for a 2 year old not mature Lasiadora Klugi male (because it is not so common and they are very pretty) and a Juvenile Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens female.

Now my question:
L. Klugi is known to be on the defensive side XD.... but when i open the terrarium and touch anything inside, it can be the water dish or the substrate he immediately teleports to the spot and try’s to attack. The same when i take a paintbrush and touch his back leg gently. he has a very big enclosure with a forest theme. i made him a nice comfy hiding place but I didn’t give him a lot of substrate because these species don’t NEED to burrow. He uses his hide almost never and always displays himself on the same spot. humidity and temperature is good.

Can anyone tell my why he literally is so aggressive? The last molt was in January. Is it possible that he is so hungry that he thinks everything is food? I feed him every Week 2 Adult Crickets.

Thanks for the Help
he is not aggressive its just all that moves must be food is all.(high prey drive) but why are you using a paint brush to touch him?

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryT

Arachnopeon
Hmmm, so he is not hungry but likes to eat :D
I like to use it because if he bites it he cant hurt his fangs. Also i like to think that if you want to get a T to move it is nice to give them a gentle and soft brush.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
they will keep eating until they are stuffed and then not eat for weeks or months until they molt. you dorealize that it stresses your t out if your poking at itjust cause you want it to move?

LarryT

Arachnopeon
i am not poking it for fun. I had to get him some way from the transport cup into his new enclosure.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I have a couple of terrestrial tarantulas that behave similar. What works for me is using more than water dish. So while they are over their water dish I am sneakily placing in another at the opposite corner. When I get an opportunity to take the first out I do. It gets filled and returned. The idea is they can't stand over 2 dishes at once so you should be able to remove and refill one.

When I do my maintenance and remove boluses etc I use (depending on the size of the tarantula) either a paintbrush or a lid to block them from attacking the tongs.

Another thing you can do is put a container over the spider, while you go about your maintenance. Then remove the container when you're done

Hope that helps!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
No tarantula is aggressive. Also, you might want to remove the swear words from your post as this is meant to be a "family friendly" forum (the mods will remove them anyway, just giving you a heads up).

when i open the terrarium and touch anything inside, it can be the water dish or the substrate he immediately teleports to the spot and try’s to attack. The same when i take a paintbrush and touch his back leg gently.
That's a feeding response. You can just put a catch cup over the spider, do your maintenance and then remove it once you're done as suggested above.

LarryT

Arachnopeon
Ok, thanks.
I am still getting used to the animals, and I dont like to get my hand close to the Ts... or to the L.Klugi.... The Chromatopelma is super chill.

sry for the swearing :)

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
You can just put a catch cup over the spider, do your maintenance and then remove it once you're done as suggested above.
Or maybe combine feeding time with maintenance and bribe him with food. With his teeth sunk into a fresh locust, he might be busy enough to let you do your stuff.

He also might calm down all by himself with time. They aren't exactly fast learners, but they do get used to disturbances that happen regularly after a while. I observed that with my C. cyaneopubescens lady. In the first few months, she was gone like a lightning bolt as soon as I stuck the key into the padlock. Now, she doesn't even flinch a bit.

LarryT

Arachnopeon
Or maybe combine feeding time with maintenance and bribe him with food. With his teeth sunk into a fresh locust, he might be busy enough to let you do your stuff.

He also might calm down all by himself with time. They aren't exactly fast learners, but they do get used to disturbances that happen regularly after a while. I observed that with my C. cyaneopubescens lady. In the first few months, she was gone like a lightning bolt as soon as I stuck the key into the padlock. Now, she doesn't even flinch a bit.
Hahaha, thats exactly how i did it until now. XD Gave him two crickets and he was happy.
Only time will tell.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
That's a great idea and it often does work. Or you may have a rascal like me who either makes a beeline to the water dish to eat her prize over, or will drop the prey to rush after the tongs lol

LarryT

Arachnopeon
Has anybody ever fed their T to the point where it doesnt want any more food on puropse? I mean, I read for example that when you have a big example you can feed them a mouse and they just chill for the next 6 months.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They might but tbh some of mine would still quite happily launch themselves towards any disturbance while rocking a face full of roaches :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
Has anybody ever fed their T to the point where it doesnt want any more food on puropse? I
every single t owner has....its remarkably easy to do and really part of the normal growth and life of a t. Fasting, especially prior to molting, is perfectly normal.

Sp1d3r8888

Arachnopeon
No tarantula is aggressive. Also, you might want to remove the swear words from your post as this is meant to be a "family friendly" forum (the mods will remove them anyway, just giving you a heads up).

That's a feeding response. You can just put a catch cup over the spider, do your maintenance and then remove it once you're done as suggested above.

No Tarantula is aggressive!!! What planet do you live on mate its a spider they are aggressive by nature theres different levels from the docile to the aggressive, your comment is really immature !. Someone was asking for help and all you said was tarantulas are not aggressive are you even experienced enough to say that ? Im a professional in all and anything arachnid , sure you have the defensive tarantula but above that you have the aggressive! If a tarantula doesn't want you around it will come after you it will chase you ive been in the jungle ive seen these things dint ever say these creatures are not aggressive you will get someone bitten!! Stop listening to YouTube and hearsay. Take the Indian ornamental for instance that spider is hard wired to be aggressive it doesn't like humans one bit . Take the baboon spider how do you think it got its name that spider is hard wired and it hates primates in Africa primates prayed on this spider and its now evolved to hate primates and us humans are primates its a truly aggressive spider do your research and find out , these creatures cannot be underestimated like i said there are levels

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
No Tarantula is aggressive!!! What planet do you live on mate its a spider they are aggressive by nature theres different levels from the docile to the aggressive, your comment is really immature !. Someone was asking for help and all you said was tarantulas are not aggressive are you even experienced enough to say that ? Im a professional in all and anything arachnid , sure you have the defensive tarantula but above that you have the aggressive! If a tarantula doesn't want you around it will come after you it will chase you ive been in the jungle ive seen these things dint ever say these creatures are not aggressive you will get someone bitten!! Stop listening to YouTube and hearsay. Take the Indian ornamental for instance that spider is hard wired to be aggressive it doesn't like humans one bit . Take the baboon spider how do you think it got its name that spider is hard wired and it hates primates in Africa primates prayed on this spider and its now evolved to hate primates and us humans are primates its a truly aggressive spider do your research and find out , these creatures cannot be underestimated like i said there are levels
I have all the spiders you mentioned. Never seen this aggressive behavior from them or any spider, at all. I've only seen defensivness when provoked. For any people new to the tarantula hobby, as mentioned above, tarantulas are defensive, not aggressive.

Last edited:

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Some spiders are highly food reactive or defensive—but I don’t consider that a problem to be fixed. It’s their house, not ours. Don't put your hands inside, do cleaning when he’s food-distracted, and enjoy the spice. My N. tripepii and P. cambridgei attack my tongs, water bottle, air... in contrast my L. klugi is super chill, which is just the way of things.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Has anybody ever fed their T to the point where it doesnt want any more food on puropse? I mean, I read for example that when you have a big example you can feed them a mouse and they just chill for the next 6 months.
Hello to all of you.

Now my question:

Can anyone tell my why he is so aggressive? The last molt was in January. Is it possible that he is so hungry that he thinks everything is food? I feed him every Week 2 Adult Crickets.

Thanks for the Help
Get a long set of wooden tongs. One long pipette used for aquariums for filling or topping off water (should clean the dish weekly though) and you're good. Thats what I do at times with some of my speed demons. As someone mentioned prior, distracting your T with a good meal is a good strategy that definitely works.

BTW, your L Klugi enclosure looks awesome 👌