Las Vegas Area Tarans?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Going to Vegas to "tie the knot" or "tie the web" in my case... I was wondering if anyone knew of any good T dealers or pet shops in the area of Henderson/Laughlin/Las Vegas.

Also, we're planning to go out in the desert and do some humting. Anyone ever go on a desert tarantula hunting expedition? Geeze, who could imagine a better honeymoon, huh?

I could use some tips, hoping to get som WCs to celebrate my wedding!!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
There's a pretty good breakdown of the procedure in "The tarantula keepers guide" I would ask Mr. T. on this board, as he seems to have experience doing it locally.

Bill

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yeah, I read that chapter thoroughly, but was hoping for some real life experience!! You never know, it doesn;t seem as though things always go as smoothly as it depicts in the book!!!!

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
watch out for snakes!Dont know if one might have giant fangs ready to pump you full of venom!

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You ain't right, Hampton. But it is true. *lol* Honestly, rattlers are the big concern when hunting for Ts, scorps and anything else of the sort. Obviously, snakes hide in vey similar places to inverts.

adios,
edw. =D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Plenty of those around here too... it's baby rattler season!! But I worry about the human variety more than I do the reptile variety!! (Guess I live WAY too close to L.A.)=D

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would be worried more about ppl too, but I don't care about reps, cause I know I'm the strangest pet I have!!!

adios,
edw. :D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
watch out for snakes!Dont know if one might have giant fangs ready to pump you full of venom!
Bwuahahahaha!!!!! I'm sorry! You just reminded me of a Mystery Science Theater 3000 running joke. You see. It started with the movie Eegah where in one scene someone off camera says "Watch out for snakes." They used this gag during this movie and a few others they did afterwards. You'd really have to see the episode with Eegah for yourself to understand why I'm chuckling right now.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was just in Vegas a couple weeks ago and I was also on the lookout for T's. I flipped through the phonebook and found a couple of pet stores that had tarantulas. I checked out one, the prices were high but it was worth a look. They had alot of other interesting reptiles and animals also. This place was on
E. Tropicana Blvd. I can't remember the name of it, but it was right next to PetsMart. E. Tropicana crosses the Vegas strip between the Excalibre and New York, New York. This place is on the 2400 block of E. Tropicana.

Have a great time in Sin City!!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
HELLO! I LIVE IN LAS VEGAS! I KNOW WHERE TO FIND TARANTULAS!!!

There is a place called Exotic Pets. I go there all the time. I have only bought a spider there once. And that was because it was unidentified and pretty cheap. I wanted the challange.

Anyways, they usually have a pretty good selection of spiders. I just prefer to raise s'lings.

Exotic Pets
2105 N Decatur Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89108
Phone: (702) 631-7387

I've never gone spider hunting. And although we are supposed to have our fair share of them and more than our fair share of scorpions, I have seen neither.

Jon

Oh, and hey, if you need to rent a car while you are out here, let me know.

Last edited:

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bwuahahahaha!!!!! I'm sorry! You just reminded me of a Mystery Science Theater 3000 running joke. You see. It started with the movie Eegah where in one scene someone off camera says "Watch out for snakes." They used this gag during this movie and a few others they did afterwards. You'd really have to see the episode with Eegah for yourself to understand why I'm chuckling right now.
I watch that show every staturday morning at 9 on scifi(I haft to go over to my friends house to watch tv.. and do other stuff:} :rolleyes: ) its a very funny show... I saw a guy use a small make-up mirror to shine it in holes to see if ANYthing( I mean snakes/T's/Lizards etc...) is living in it..... Have fun when you go...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
THANK YOU BIG DRAGONFLY AND SPIDER TWIN!!

As far as hunting goes, it's as much about the hiking around and exploring as tarantula catching! We're nature lovers, I would KILL to do whtt Steve Irwin does, just run around the globe taking a close-up look at exotic animals in the wild. Even if I don't find any Ts, it will be relaxing and nice to get away.

By the way, does anybody know what species runs around wild in the Nevada desert? We have a "local brown" here in the high desert of Southern California, and I know there's lots of New Mexican and Arizona species, but I never hear of exatcly what species run around in the Nevada desert.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm sure its just some plain brown anphonopelma species.

Jon

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Aphonopelma mojave Prentice to be exact, and I was a month too early!:mad:

The locals told me that by next month, they'll be all over the place and you'll have to drive slowly to prevent smooshed Ts!

Well, maybe next month, it's only a 4 hour drive!

Jon, went to Extotic Pets, thanks for the tip.WAY larger selection than anything we have out here in the So. Cal. Inland Empire. I picked up an unidentified "Texas" species for $14.99. The owner said a whole shipment of herps & t's were delivered to a vacant apartment, so he ended up with them. I'll be posting pictures soon for some of everyone's expert help with i.d., but for now, she looks like a blonde Rio Grande Gold!

P.P.'s Mom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
MizM said:
Aphonopelma mojave Prentice to be exact, and I was a month too early!:mad:

The locals told me that by next month, they'll be all over the place and you'll have to drive slowly to prevent smooshed Ts!
Where is this place and what month is the good month? I would love to go on an expedition. Please, anyone in S. Cali who knows a good spot for wild caught T's, don't keep it to yourself any longer!!!!!

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
MizM Since no one else said so, I will. Congratulations! :clap:

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And I certainly double up on that one.

Congratulations girl!!! :D

---
Wendy
---