Larva ID?

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone,

we find those larvae in our house. Like 4 or 5 of them every day. That is kind of annoying. I don't know where they come from, but they enjoy their time in our kitchen...it is too cold outside right now, so I guess they must be somewhere inside the house. We already checked every cupboard and rack and every place we store food...nothing...They seem to come out of nowhere.

Does anyone have an idea what it is or has ever seen it?
We are in Germany...that fact might help for identification.

It moves like a caterpillar and has some kind of very small tail. The body structure is not soft as I know it from most caterpillars, but pretty hard.
The size is about 1.5cm (app. 0.6 inches) in length and about 0.5cm (app. 0.2 inches) in width.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Attachments

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not a Soldierfly, but a Hoverfly (Syrphidae).

I bet you have a wasp nest in your wall or roof........... :)

This is the larvae of one of the larger Volucella species, probably Volucella inanis. These breed in the nests of social wasps (Vespula sp). At this time of year they leave the nest to pupate. If the nest is in the roof then they often are found in the rooms of the house below after squeezing through a crack in the wall or ceiling.

This question comes up regularly each year at this time of year, I just gave the same answer to an almost identical photo on another forum last week.

Matt

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Matt,

I looked it up in the internet and that's it! Thanks a lot! We actually do have problems with a wasp nest in the roof!

I spent hours in the internet watching photos and stuff but didn't find the answer.

So, if we get rid of the wasp nest, the problem should be solved i guess...

Thanks again!

Chris