Largest Tarantula found in usa

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just wonderin what is the largest tarantula spieces found in the usa, and where is it located

bannishg

Arachnopeon
This is a question I've been wanting to answer for someone, because it's always re-assuring to know what the "biggest" of "something" is in your home country. I don't care if the question was asked only once, and 8 1/2 years ago!!!

I think that most here will agree that the Aphonopelma Sp. "New River Rust Rump" has the longest legspan of any US native. It is a type locality that is found mostly in the vicinity of New River, AZ, which is about 40 miles north of Phoenix.
It is perhaps the only species in the US where 5+ inch legspans in adults are commonplace. There are documented instances of the species reaching 6 inches, the largest confirmed is 6.25". Still, anything beyond 5.5 inches is pretty rare. There are unconfirmed reportings of this species reaching 7 inches plus, but those claims are likely exaggerated.

Many websites and catalogs state that A. Hentzi/Anax/ Chalcodes can achieve 6 inches, however, these 3 usually max out at 4.5", with a few 5-inchers every once in a while. I could be wrong, though. I still find it remarkable that these T's reach such sizes in our climate. Elsewhere in the world, practically all T's found above the Tropic of Cancer/ below the Tropic of Capricorn are dwarves in the
3" range. The US also has, so far, the northernmost occuring tarantula. A. Iodus, found in the Salt Lake City region, lives as far North as 41°N.

Greg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
my A anax is 5"+ they max out 6-6.5" mines smaller 5"
the largest centepede S heros is a lot bigger 6-10".. poor spiders prob end up centepede food sometimes

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do u guys know what species are found I'n California? I often see them out side of my house..

bannishg

Arachnopeon
Do u guys know what species are found I'n California? I often see them out side of my house..
As for California T's, there are currently 18 species documented. If you like I can start a new post listing them, and detailing the more recognizable ones.

Greg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
it would suck to run into S-Heros if your a tarantula.. or the Desert hairy scorp

bannishg

Arachnopeon
Lest you forget those mean ol' pepsis wasps! It's predation technique represents mother nature at her cruelest. As much as my heart goes out to the victim T, I'm just not a fan of extreme, debilitating pain, so I wouldn't intervene.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah a S Hero's would probably tackle & kill a Pepsis wasp... but a tarantula is help..less

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I actually think this would make an awesome thread...
I already mentioned the age of the thread in the second sentence of my post, guy. I searched "largest us tarantula" and was taken to this thread. Decided to answer it rather than start a new thread.

---------- Post added 11-22-2011 at 05:27 PM ----------

As for California T's, there are currently 18 species documented. If you like I can start a new post listing them, and detailing the more recognizable ones.

Greg

k2power

Arachnoknight
I didn't know the answer to that question and had seen in the past that A. anax was the largest US species. Now I know different. I learned from it and it is possible that the information presented now would have been different from what was known in 2003 so we have a truly pertinent thread that many people will look at and learn from. I also never knew where the New River area was in AZ. Apparently I have been by it numerous times and didn't know it. I am glad the thread was resurrected as others seem to be as well.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aphonopelma sp."New River" CAN get huge,as mentioned. We have owned a SOLID 6-incher...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
ill be sure to buy a A sp. new river... then as my next Aphonopelma T!!!!!:biggrin: A Anax is small only 5".. might not be full grown yet though
and A Moderatum !!! cuz colors

bannishg

Arachnopeon
Has anyone else seen any 6"+ A. Anax, New River etc. ?

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
nope .. my A Anax is 5" & growing each molt.. molts are spaced apart about 8months -1 year though,... very slow grower.. eats like a Lasiodora though... fatty
wish I had a 6" specimen maybe someday it will be that big

LucasNorth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wish we had tarantulas in Canada :( I had figured New river Sp would oly get 4", to hear that they get 6 is awesome.
Hopefully global warming isnt just a government conspiracy so eventually we become a tropical rainforest up here.
I wonder what the biggest tarantula that COULD live in the U.S. would be, like the largest imported species which could survive within American borders(in le wild).